MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Osteroporosis

I just had my 2nd bone density test. There is not much difference between the 2. My doctor want me to start taking Boniva. A year ago I tried Fosamax but was troubled by bad heartburn soI stopped taking it. She wanted me to have the iv Reclasp(sp) but after I showed her my brain scan she said I couldnt do it. My scan shows mild ischemic changes:( Not sure what that means but I dont like the sounds of it. Anyway, she wants me to start taking Boniva starting the 1st of SEpt. I have read so many bad side effects that Im almost afraid to consider it. I have 1200 mg of CA 2x a day. Any there any other things to do or take to avoid the Boniva? Thanks so much for any responses. Karen

I'm confused and concerned too. I have some bone thinning and my dr. told me to take OTC calcium with Vit. D. I've been doing it for about 5 years and a few months ago they came out and said calcium pills were bad for the heart.

I really don't want to make a Dr. a$$ointment just to ask about it though. I suppose I should get another bone density test when I go back for my annual next year.

Maybe the Boniva won't give you heartburn. Worth a try. I think it was CGA who said to take it first thing in the morning when you are more upright. Is Bonive a once a month pill? Maybe you would "only" have the heartburn for a day or so? Worth saving your bones.

Good luck on your quest and let us know how it all works out because many of us may be following your path soon.

Im afraid to take the Boniva. I tried Fosmax for several months and that was a weekly one. It gave me bad heartburn. The mg is 150. So if the Boniva takes care of my bones than the potential side effects could cause more problems. All these piils can cause jaw bone disease which is probably just as bad as osterporosis. The side effects on the Boniva states, heart burn, dizziness I already have vertigo. Chest pains, breathing and swallowing difficulties and vision problems. Is this crap safe to take?! Im confused and unsure what to do . My doctor says it safe. They are just pill pushers. Im alsmost ready to say forget it. So If my hip breaks and then I fall what happends? Do they surgurically implant pins into the hip so it can repair itself? I was told by the doc that a hip fracture can cause blood clots to go into the heart or lungs:( It seem like wahtever you do there is more complications to consider.

Jeeprs, its safe to take the CA as long as you dont over 1200mg per day. I divide it up. I take 600mg in the am and the reminder at night. I also take 81 mg ASA(baby aspiring) per day because a scan of my brain showed ischemic changes :( Like I had a mini stroke or something. This is more scarier to me than the osterporosis. Im trying not to live in fear over this as this scan was taked about 2 years or so ago.

Thanks for the info! I take 1000mg. of calcium. I lied about the vit. D. It is calcium, magnesium and zinc. I had to go look. I also take a baby aspirin and a garlic cap. everyday.

I have to take a statin drug too so I take CoQ10. I'd love to get off all my meds but genetics has not been kind to my heart. Blood pressure is my main issue. I'm still trying though.