Kitchen or here???

Cat

COOL recipe! I mean literally!!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ice Cubes

By CHRISSYG

Added April 14, 2010 | Recipe #420398

Total Time: Prep Time: Cook Time: 2 hrs 2 mins 2 mins 2 hrs

CHRISSYG's Note:

I'm publishing this recipe because I'm sure that there are other families who have members who don't know how or have forgotten how to make ice when the ice tray is empty.

Ingredients: Yield: 2 trays

2 cups water (approximately)

2 tablespoons water (additional if needed)

Directions:

1 Empty the ice cubes that are left in the trays (if there are any left) into the bin.

2 Take the trays over to the sink and fill them with cold water.

3 Place the water filled ice trays back in the freezer.

4 Replace the ice bin if you had to remove it.

5 Shut the door to the freezer.

OK, simple enough. It's the REPLIES that are HILARIOUS!!!!

ALL of the classic "I didn't have this so I used that instead and it didn't work", "I have to have it organic/vegan so I did it this way", "The directions weren't clear so I tried that, and it didn't work"... :24: :24: :24:

I harvest my own free-range water, so the idea of putting it in a plastic tray and a commercially made electricity-wasting freezer disgusts me. I prefer nature's method, waiting until the temperature outside drops below freezing.

I'm relieved to notice in the nutritional facts that these delicious cubes are not sodium free. A touch of salt is so important to bring out just the right icy flavor. We make this fabulous recipe so often, we had to buy 30 or 40 bottles of bourbon and scotch to go with it...

I was wondering if you had a crock-pot version for this recipe. I work long hours and I just don't have the time to invest in this kind of hands-on cooking, but they really look yummy.

Oh man, so happy to have this recipe! My grandma died and took the recipe with her. You are a life saver!!

I guess they turned out OK. I assumed, like muffins, you had to grease the pan first. They did come out nice and easy, but they made our drinks awfully greasy. Next time I will grease AND flour the pan. Anyone else have this same problem?

It looked a bit thin so I added some kidney beans (half of a 15 oz. can) and some chicken stock. Try it, you'll like it!

:24: :24: :24: :24: :24:

http://www.food.com/recipe/ice-cubes-420398/review

There are 450 "reviews" I'm reading further...

If I home can these, can I use a water bath, or do I need to pressure can them? Last power outage I lost too much frozen stuff, so I want them on the shelf whenever I need them.

Thank you for your recipe. We make something very similar in Guatemala. Our version is called hielo, and instead of water we use agua.

I've been trying for years to make ice cubes, but it never worked. I would use water. I would put the appropriate amount in the tray. I would even stir the water in the tray with a straw. Then I would pop it in the microwave for awhile and nothing! I tried the oven, the stove, the toaster, and even the gas grill...nothing worked! Finally someone came up with the brilliant idea of the freezer! Awesome results. Thanks Chrissy.

Does this one come with an online, video tutorial?

I made a batch of these to give out to family for holiday gifts. Warning they were stolen!!! Each family member said that when they opened the box there was nothing but wet cardboard. I will be speaking to the post office about this.

Too funny. However. My niece was telling me just yesterday that the power went out and how hard it was to cook dinner because she could not open a can. Wonder if their is a can opener recipe?

Wow, what a treat- I feel like I live in a fancy restaurant now! My first batch came out looking like cold cubes of YooHoo, so I made an audible and switched my Houston tap water with a bottled source- much better now. Is there a Kosher version to this recipe?

:24: :24: :24:

Wow, what a treat- I feel like I live in a fancy restaurant now! My first batch came out looking like cold cubes of YooHoo, so I made an audible and switched my Houston tap water with a bottled source- much better now. Is there a Kosher version to this recipe?

I don't like "home made" ice cubes because of the 'frosty' white center they usually develop. Would using bottled water solve this problem??? :misc-smiley-231:

(Real question BTW.) :rolleyes:

I believe the solution to that is supposed to be to use hot water to start.

Honestly. :happy0203:

*Supposedly* it allows for less air to be trapped in them, but I can't verify that. :bighug2:

I believe the solution to that is supposed to be to use hot water to start.

Honestly. :happy0203:

*Supposedly* it allows for less air to be trapped in them, but I can't verify that. :bighug2:

I hope you don't mean hot water from the tap! :tapfoot: Just think of all the yuckies that are in your hot water tank that would wind up in your ice cubes.:yuk: