MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Grandma's Cabbage

I make boiled cabbage like my grandma did. Boil the cr*p out of it in water with some bacon grease added. Eat with a splash of vinegar. If I don't have bacon grease handy, I'll use chicken stock. Just wondering about canning it. I know you can can cabbage but what about cabbage that has been cooked in bacon/chicken grease? Does canned cabbage get bitter after it's canned?

I'm thinking cook it and pressure can it about 55 min.

No, never add bacon or fats to things unless the safe, tested recipe states. Otherwise, you are asking for botulism. Cabbage is no recommended for canning. It gets really strong and awful by itself. Maybe OK to add just a bit in a soup, but not alone.

Some folks want to add bacon to green beans, too. This is a total unsafe thing to do. Fat surrounds food particles and will allow botulism to survive even pressure canning. You know how oil coats foods.

Unless you find something safe in a current Ball Blue Book or the University of Georgia site, or other safe sites or books, then consider it something that should not be canned.

Hey, now wait a minnit! I have canned cabbage, and though it gets stronger tasting, if you dislike it, all you have to do is rinse and re-heat in fresh water to tame it down. Id add drain it again, then fry it with the bacon to flavor it. It also makes swell pickled cabbage aka 'canned coleslaw' (fat free, of course). Now broccoli or cauliflower, they turn brown AND strong flavored. I freeze or dehydrate those.