MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

False Seal On A Canning Jar

A friend of mine has a canning jar that she isn't sure is sealed. The day after she canned, she pressed down on the lid that she didn't think was sealed and it stayed down in the center like it is sealed. It has stayed down (the lid) for over 2 weeks.

She isn't going to eat it (fruit) but has been keeping it to see if the lid will pop back up.

I've never had that happen but we don't think it's really sealed. Is there such a thing as a false seal?

Personally, I don't like Tattler lids. I have tried some out and do not feel they are as secure as regular lids. I had one that seemed sealed come unsealed as it sat. Luckily I only tried them on jam. There is a learning curve with them. We are not sure that all air is vented out since you tighten down after canning. They seem like just another old fashioned rubber gasket and lid to us.

Then, I do not want to mess with storing all the flats and those rubber rings. Such a bother to me. I have read they can emit formaldehyde from the plastic. Plus, if the company goes out of business, as they did in the past, you are stuck with all those expensive plastic lids and no rings.

Just my 2 cents worth. I stocked up on bulk lids from Lehmans instead.

These were regular Ball canning lids. She didn't want to chance eating it because it sat out on the counter over night and then some. Probably 18 hours or so. For her, it wasn't worth getting sick over a half pint of peaches. It still looks like it's sealed.

I agree with everything Violet said about the Tattler lids even though I've never used any. Too expensive for me plus you still have to buy the rubber rings. About the formaldehyde issue, I've read a few places where the Ball type rings have it too they also, supposedly, have BPA in the rubber on the lids. :shrug:

At least there is mimimal food contact with the rubber sealing compound; unless it emits fumes or gasses. That's my happy thought for the day. :tinfoilhatsmile:

There was BPA in the white coating on the inside of the Ball lids. Kerr did not have that. Same company, though, makes Ball, Kerr, and Golden Harvest. I think that is who makes the generic ones in bulk from Lehmans, too.

There is no formaldehyde that I am aware of in the standard lids. Just the Tattler when exposed to heat.

The peaches would have been safe if put in the fridge, frozen, or reprocessed within 24 hours of the initial processing. Fruit you won't get botulism from. It would just mold or ferment after a while. Not unless it was REALLY moldy and the ph changed over time.

Edited by Violet