MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storing in beer bottles?

Hi all, I've had a brain storm and I need some knowledgeable feedback.

I keep a few different mixes on hand that last me about 12 weeks. I've been hunting for a cheap way to store the individual recipe amounts so I don't have to keep the entire mix buckets in my pantry. My eyes alighted on my stash of empty beer bottles - they look like they'd be just the right size and easy to store. Could I seal them with reusable silicone caps and oxygen absorbers? Would this be safe?

They're all your basic ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, dry milk and shortening.

Link to the silicone caps in case: http://www.amazon.com/Beer-Saver-Reusable-Silicone-Bottle/dp/B00467QN54

Hi all, I've had a brain storm and I need some knowledgeable feedback.

I keep a few different mixes on hand that last me about 12 weeks. I've been hunting for a cheap way to store the individual recipe amounts so I don't have to keep the entire mix buckets in my pantry. My eyes alighted on my stash of empty beer bottles - they look like they'd be just the right size and easy to store. Could I seal them with reusable silicone caps and oxygen absorbers? Would this be safe?

They're all your basic ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, dry milk and shortening.

Link to the silicone caps in case: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00467QN54

Very interesting...would wonder if the caps would seal tightly enough for the oxygen absorbers to really do their work. I'd probably be one of those that would "try one" and see what happens in a month or two. I'll bet others here have more experience than I.

Glass is always a good choice for a storage container. If the bottle cap is a screw-off type it should have enough integrity to screw back on and make a simple seal. Other types probably not so you might consider using corks or similar stoppers.

I use the brewed iced tea bottles for storing water and other glass containers for dry goods. Good use for those old glass mayonnaise and similar jars, along with a Silica Gel packet.

Did you know that Silica Gel packets are reusable? I steal mine from other commercial packages which makes them basically *free*.