MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pasta for Diabetics

http://www.amazon.com/Boles-Bulk-Artichoke-Shells-Pound/dp/B001BMDERC/ref=sr_1_4?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1351975704&sr=1-4&keywords=flour

DeBoles proudly offers the only brand of premium organic handmade pastas made with Jerusalem artichoke flour. A rich source of protein and dietary fiber as compared to traditional pasta, Jerusalem artichoke flour also naturally contains inulin, a prebiotic that stimulates the growth of beneficial bacterial in the digestive tract that in turn aids digestion and lowers blood pressure and cholesterol. Our signature recipe has a subtle nutty flavor and light smooth texture that is never sticky

I've never seen this product before! Guess what my father, the non-practicing diabetic, is getting for Christmas!

Andrea, be very careful about researching this product before you buy it. A quick search of the DeBoyles web site doesn't give a nutrition panel for this particular product though it does for others. It also contains wheat. That might mean that, carbohydrate wise, it could be just as bad for diabetics as regular pasta. Most diabetics need to count carbs. Often times these 'specialty' items give a false representation of their product.

You might check into NoOodles. It is supposed to be made from a root and is low in carbs though pretty pricey. I haven't tried it so not sure how it taste. I've only recently seen it in health food stores in our area. It is in the cooler section, in plastic bags, already cooked. I did note though, that the serving size is only about a fourth of a cup. Actually in all of the pasta products the serving size is limited to somewhere around a half cup. Very few people eat only a half cup of cooked pasta of any kind.

I am gluten/grain intolerant so my pasta of choice is Spaghetti Squash. If it is not overcooked the fibers inside will string with a fork to resemble spaghetti, and though the taste is not the same as wheat flour ones, with a nice flavorful sauce it makes a very good substitute. Believe it or not, toothpick sized slices of zucchini are also a good substitute when cooked for only a short time in the sauce.

Now I realize a non-practicing diabetic (I've met a few of those too LOL)isn't going to be too interested in those last choices but it might be worth a try if someone else were to make the dish for him and not tell him????? :whistling:

:bighug2:

You also might look for Dreamfield's pastas. They are also made with inulin (and semolina wheat) and taste just like regular pasta. It is available at Safeway and Raley's (here anyway) and sometimes goes on sale. When it does, I visit the Dreamfields site and try to print coupons (usually $1 off) before I buy it. I have multiple boxes of penne, angel hair, spaghetti, and elbows.

To make mac n cheese, I cook the Dreamfield's elbows and use the cheese package from Kraft mac n cheese. I store the Kraft pasta for giving away to food banks, or neighbors. Heck, I might even need to use it myself at some point after :smiley_shitfan: . :grinning-smiley-044:

• 2 months later...

several stores around here sell knojac root noodles - all fiber, no carbs, made into pasta shapes. Ive had it, its tasteless plain, but with spaghetti sauce it makes a respectable substitute to someone craving noodles. The ones I found (at sentry, and at woodman's) were call shiritaki noodles. they also come with a knojac root-tofu blend noodle for those looking for some protein in them. Pricey, but you can order knojac root flour and make your own, too.