MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How do I can a turkey?

I like to roast mine first and eat some roasted. In my own opinion, it gives it a great flavor, but it's not *necessary*.

Yes, you can just cut it up and cook it down like a chicken.

I can it as broth and meat, not as a soup. For that, you need to follow a real recipe.

As broth & meat, I can fix it any way I like, but that's just my preference. :shrug:

Hey Cat! I had a whole reply (almost like yours) all typed up and somehow I closed the window!!!

Jori-

I roast mine like normal. Then cut off the legs/thighs and separate them at the joint. Cube the thigh meat, and put the legs into the pot for broth.

Cut the white meat off of the bone and cube that too. Throw the carcass into the pot with the legs, and also add the wings.

When broth is ready, stuff the jars with the cubed meat, add broth, and process for meat at correct time/pressure.

Yummy results.

(I put the cubed meat into a large baggie in the fridge until the broth is ready. Also, refrigerate the strained broth overnight to easily remove the layer of fat.)

I raw pack turkey with breast meat separate from dark. I cut leg meat off the bone but don't bother with the tendons (those flat bony things). When you go to use the meat the tendons will slide right out of the meat so easily that it is not worth the work to take them out before canning. I put a little salt in and water enough for 1/2 inch headroom and process in the pressure canner.

Roasting or cooking prior to packing into the jars is way too much extra work!