MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oh, those pesky plateaus!

kappydell

Whatever kind of changes I try to make in my lifestyle, I always his plateaus after about 4 weeks.

With my diet, the scale freezes.

With exercise, I cant seem to pick up the intensity.

With 'good habits' I seem to get awful forgetful.

Then the temptations to cheat start niggling and nagging away. After all (they whisper) you have been sooooooo good for foooooour weeeeeeks, you deserve a reward!

"Bah, Humbug! Get Back, Jack! Vade retro me, satana!" (Run-run-run away from temptation!)

Whoever said it gets easier as you get older must have been an optimistic child of 20...it doesn't. The gremlins get smarter, and push your buttons easier, thats all.

Oh well, all I can do is shake my head, keep my head down, and keeeeeep walkin', (makin' wisecracks with every step).

Victory will be mine (eventually).

Edited by kappydell

'Tis difficult sometimes.

Keep on trying, ... yanno.... ".... I think I can, I think I can, ..... thought I could, thought I could, thought I could!"

I heard somewhere, it takes 21 days to make or break a habit. 21 days is reallllllyyyyy looooonnnnnggggg when you are trying, and trying, and trying.

:pray:

I empathize with you, it's soooo hard to stick with things, I usually break when I am trying and trying, yet the scale decides it's going to be stubborn and not budge (in a positive way). Then, begin again.

You'll get over the plateau -- maybe we can all meet up when we reach our goals and all give a :sassing: face to the plateaus once we're beyond them :)

• 2 months later...

My room mate has joined me in dieting. She decided to reduce her calories, same as me (1500 a day) and we joined a gym together - a nice one with pools (one inside, a heated one outside) and a sauna, and plenty of classes to help us get motivated. We've decided it is time to age backwards!

I've started keeping track of my diet & workouts (now with PT, later in the gym) again; last time I did that I lost 50% of my body weight.

It might take a while, but we are enjoying the ride. She (the former drill sergeant) keeps me going; I (the researcher) crunch the numbers and plan our routines.

Today's task: base line weight entries for Mary; base line PT entries for me; and a trip to the grocery store to get extra veggies for when we get those doggone munchie attacks. I also keep a crock pot of broth (saved cooking liquids, bones, etc) ready at all times, as a cup of broth at the right time does help some.

Heeeeere we go! I already have my goal markers (and rewards for reaching them) picked out.....

I also watched the video under 'never give up'....inspirational! I've always loved & admired stubborn (notivated) people and their ability to make the experts eat their words.....

Edited by kappydell

Kappy, the never give up video, is the one you're talking about the one with the guy who was told he'd never walk again and then at the end he was running? I saw that on FB and it was amazing! Love that story/video!

It sounds as though you're plateau will be behind you in no time :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well....I'm off my plateau (FINALLY!). The physical therapists working with me post surgery (hip replacement) say I'm ahead of the curve in recovery of my mobility. I joined the nearest gym under my insurance companies' sponsorship, and either pool-walk or ride the recumbent exercise bike for 30 min three times a week now (for starters). Tonight I started monitoring my training pulse, to adjust my workouts properly for best training effect. Mary & I calculated our target heart rates so we can monitor our efforts more easily (you know, 220 minus your age in years, multiplied by 70% for the lower end, and multiplied by 90% for the upper end...)

Fortunately the gym has facilities readily available to disabled folks - there are quite a few of us water exercising in various ways at any one time, and they have 'silver sneakers' programs available if I decide I want to get up early enough to utilize them. I did quite a comprehensive study of fitness programs back in my late 20s (I took off 70 lbs), and I remember very well how to make up my own progressive interval training programs very well, so I may just sleep in and do it myself. When I hit the big 6-0 next Jan I want to be fitter (so I can take our traditional 'birthday suit walk' after dark in the c-c-c-c-cold in a sleeker birthday suit)! Just one look in the mirror thinking of that is certainly motivating (LOL)!

220 minus your age, then multiply the result by .70 (70%) for the lower end, and by .90 (90%) for the upper end.

I divide by 6 so I only have to count for 10 sec while exercising.

Now those body mass calculators are what crack me up...some of them just ask your age, height & weight then give you a number. That can't be very accurate! I use the girth measurement technique, which is a little better, since I con't know where to find body fat calipers at a good price, but the math is daunting. Then again, different sources list different body fat percentages as normal, so it is all confusing. So I most often use the old ways for measuring body fat... how well do your clothes fit, and how do you feel? After all, that is the real question, not a bunch of numbers.

Edited by kappydell

If ya pinch more than an inch, you got too much ! Keeps that simple.

I say two if you have difficulties in losing weight due to disorders and stuff like walking and balance problems and fibro, because if you are more than two inches fatty layers, and can get down to that anyway, though it may take longer, you are going to still feel alot better, have more stamina and be much improved and your labs will probably improve, cutting risk factors to middle aged health issues.

I went for a walk today! It was nice temp, sunny and not all windy. Very pretty. I enjoyed it.