MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cooker or Canner ???

Hi Everybody

I went to a yardsale today and bought an 8 quart canner (Mirro canner model # M 0598 11) and 37 boxes of lids. All for $3. The canner included a weight, a cooking rack and a gasket). On the internet, I even found a free manual

I know that at one time a pressure canner had to hold 7 quart jars to be considered as a canner, but I think I heard recently that that number had been adjusted down to 4. Am I on the right track. This one holds 4 quarts. In the manual, I see it called a pressure cooker in some places and in other places it is called a pressure canner. It does not have the longer handles on one side that I associate with pressure cookers, but has the short handles on both sides that I associate with pressure canners.

So what’s the verdict? A cooker or a canner?

Thanks in advance

YYY

Hi again Everybody

I “THINK” I’ve found the answer to my question in the 4th paragraph of this National Center for Home Food Preservation – UGA article (Using Pressure Canners):

http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/uga/using_press_canners.html

"Pressure canners come deep enough for one layer of quart or smaller size jars, or deep enough for two layers of pint or smaller size jars. The USDA recommends that a canner be large enough to hold at least 4 quart jars to be considered a pressure canner for the USDA published processes."

I’d still like to hear what y’all think

Thanks

YYY

I don't see how an 8 qt. pressure cooker would be large enough to hold 4 qt. sized jars. The 8 qt. is how much water it would hold empty. Usually the smallest size canner is 16 qt. This sounds like a cooker to me and not a canner. I know that Presto had a small cooker before like that and they at first called it a canner, then now I see on the box it only says cooker. I need to see about the model number before I say one way or another.