MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freezing Methods for Apples and Corn

A few days ago we were offered an apple tree to harvest. We did and got nearly 2bushels. I've tried my hand at homemade apple sauce and was astounded at house easy it is. Now, that the kids have eaten all they want, I'm going to make more and freeze quart bags of it.

With the rest of the apples, I am going to set my teen boy down with the corer/peeler/slicer thingamajig and put unprocessed slices in freezer bags to use how I wish in the future.

Last night we were given 50 cobs of corn (Silver Queen variety) with the promise of another possible 100 tomorrow. My friend freezes hers in the shuck. I'm thinking to try that as well. Sounds so very easy. And for me, the simpler the better.

Days like this, I am glad to have an XL family and totally understand why farming/homesteading families were usually large. Children are indeed a blessing.

Freezing corn the in shuck saves labor and I think taste. I love it that way!

Not sure about your apple rings but the Mennonites around here freeze their applesauce in

serving size containers and send them in lunches with the school children or out to the

fields for the workers....

I have frozen it in the shuck, and it was really good for a little while but the three-month-old ears had lost that good flavor. Next time I do that I'm going to run a thick drill bit up the cobb from the butt end, same as I would for blanched cobs.