MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Garlic question

I canned some garlic dill okra over the weekend and the reciepe calls for cloves of garlic. I didn't have any so I used minced garlic, 1/2 teaspoon per pint. The liquid in the jars is cloudy today. Is this normal for minced garlic or did I mess up? I have more to do tomorrow.

:wormie2:

John

Hmm, usually cloudy brine is due to spoilage, unless you did not use canning salt. Other kinds of salt can cause it to be cloudy, too. Also, if it were a fermented food it would possibly have cloudy brine. This was not fermented, though. I am sure you processed them, right ?

I don't know what would be in the jarred garlic to do that. It should not have been an issue. Where did you get the recipe for this ? It looks like the Univ. of Georgia/So Easy to Preserve recipe.

Cloudy brine is not a good sign, Wormie. I am sorry.

All I can think of is that the garlic had some sort of bacteria in it to make it cloudy. I would suspect yeast growth from what you have described. Yes, I would toss the first batch. It had to be the garlic.

I looked up the recipe last night and found it to be the one you used. I knew you would have done things right !

Okay, the mystery deepens. I checked the jars after my last post and the liquid is cloudy. I am wondering if exposing the seed chambers while triming them would allow the liquid in them to come out in the jars hence making cloudy liquid. :shrug:

John

Okay, the mystery deepens. I checked the jars after my last post and the liquid is cloudy. I am wondering if exposing the seed chambers while triming them would allow the liquid in them to come out in the jars hence making cloudy liquid. :shrug:

John

"garlic tea"...LOL The juice just might be very good for healing purposes.

Edited by Philbe

Violet, the second batch did not have any garlic in it that is why I thought of the seed chambers. I'm at a loss, and I have more to can but I'm afraid to now.

John