MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Ziplock Mylar Bags

Does anyone use them? Are they worth the money?

Just wondering. I am looking at ways to store dry beans and I do not have enough glass jars so I thought about mylar bags and saw the ziplock quart bags.

I love mine. Just remember to use oxygen absorbers in them with the foods you plan to store for a long term. I made several "meals in a bag" with mine & they're stored in our RV for emergency food. I don't use OA's in them if I'm storing nuts, or foods that I know we'll be in and out of etc. As far as I'm concerned, they are absolutely worth the money! For the larger storage mylar's I just use a hair straigtening hot iron (I bought for $1) to seal the tops.

Thanks. I had even thought about buying the bigger ones and cutting them down, then I saw the ziplocks and thought they would be perfect for dry beans. Plus I can flatten them and store them in tubs and they will take up less space.

I store my garden seeds in them also...hint-hint-hint! LOL Many, many uses for these little buggers!

How thick is the mylar material?

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Not really sure without going into pantry and digging them out, but probably at least 4 mil. When I bag rice in them, I put the rice in a white tube sock and then put them into the mylar bag so the rice doesn't puncture.