MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Size?

Jeepers

I buy regular queen size sheets. Like from Wal-Mart. But the mattress-in-a-box comes in different thicknesses. I'm seeing 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 inches thick. That's just on the first Amazon page.  :blink:

What size thickness do I get to fit the sheet I already have and any future sheets I might need? Just normal sheets. I hate sheets that aren't tight and bunch up. But I don't want to rip out the corners trying to get it on either.

I long for the simpler days when sizes were universal. You got a queen size bed and queen size sheets and you knew they would work well together. Why make things so difficult. I think mattress and sheet manufacturers are in cahoots.

I totally agree.  I'm not one to comply to uniformity very much  :busted:    but in the case of sizes, c'mon!  I have an old fashioned bed at my folks' house.  It's a 3/4 bed so the mattress is custom made.  I'll have to ask my mom what sheets she uses on that one....if I get it back some day?

MtRider  :pc_coffee:

• Like 1

3/4 Size Mattresses

3/4 beds are usually 48 inches wide by 75 inches long. It is still a good idea to measure your actual bed frame as non-standard and antique sizes can have subtle variations that are close to, but not exactly 3/4 size. Below you will find several models that can be custom-ordered in a range of dimensions to fit most any antique or non-standard bed frame, including the 3/4 size. 

Today's Uncommon Mattress Sizes

When it's time to purchase a new non-standard size mattress, you need to first measure the size of your bed to make sure you get a size that fits correctly. You may have a hard time finding non-standard sizes, including the 3/4 size which was more common years ago. The 3/4 size is wider than a Twin but narrower than a Full, usually measuring 48 inches wide by 75 inches long. Many antique iron beds are built for a 3/4 size mattress, and you may need to special order an appropriate mattress for a unique bed frame. 

Shop with Confidence

Many retailers charge additional fees to special order a 3/4 size mattress. This can make them much more expensive than standard sizes, which may make you reconsider your non-standard bed. But when you shop with US-Mattress, you can special order custom-size mattresses at prices lower than you'll find anywhere else. So if you've been putting off purchasing a new mattress for your antique bed, now is the time to order a mattress that will fit your unique bed and improve your sleep. There's no reason you can't enjoy the unique style of an antique bed along with the comfort of a modern mattress. Just be sure to measure twice, because custom-order mattresses are non-refundable! 

Edited by Ambergris
  • Thanks 1