MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Diabetes and the Corona Virus

Folks, by now you have probably heard it repeated many times that the people most likely to die from this new coronavirus have preexisting conditions that include diabetes.This is because prolonged exposure to high blood sugars damages the small nerves that play an important role in the immune system. In the shorter term, blood that is full of glucose impedes the production and circulation of the white blood cells that fight infection and promote the growth of bacteria.

Because there has been almost zero testing in the US and will not be for likely another few weeks to a month, the actual prevalence of the virus is unknown. So now, more than ever, if you have high blood sugars you MUST get them down to normal levels.

You can do this. The key is to cut way back on starches and sugars, including the "plant based" ones that have become so trendy of late. Using the technique described below people have reported being able to bring down A1cs to the safe, normal range starting from as high as 13%.

I hear a lot of people opining that this is nothing more than another cold, and for all our sakes I would like to believe that is true. But so far it has show itself to be a "cold" that kills people with crappy immune systems, and unless your A1c is down in the 5% range, you should assume that includes you.

Use the technique described below now, and get your immune system back into working order BEFORE you need it!

https://www.bloodsugar101.com/how-to-lower-your-blood-sugar

Here is the protocol you will find at the link above:

How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

Over the past decade and a half thousands of people with Type 2 diabetes have dramatically lowered their blood sugar using this very simple technique which was first published on the alt.support.diabetes newsgroup. Unlike most other strategies you may have encountered, this one does not tell you what to eat. Instead it teaches you how the meals you are currently eating affect your blood sugar and then guides you through the process of adapting those meals so that they will be more blood sugar friendly. Try it for a week and you'll see how well it works.

Step 1: Eat whatever you've been eating and write it all down
Eat normally, but use your blood sugar meter to test yourself at the following times. Write down what you ate and what your blood sugar results were: Upon waking (fasting)1 hour after each meal2 hours after each meal

Note: People often ask where to start measuring the hour after eating. For most people measuring from the end of the meal works well. If you take more than 45 minutes to eat your meal, measure from when you eat the course that contains the most starch and sugar.

What this will tell you is when your blood sugar is at its highest after your meal and how long it takes to drop back down. Most people also will see that all starches and sugars, even the ones that nutritionists tell us are "healthy" like whole grains and fruits can raise our blood sugars dramatically compared to fats and proteins.

Step 2: For the next few days cut back on your carbohydrates
Cut back on breads, cereals, rice, beans, any wheat products, potato, corn, and fruit. If you are eating gluten-free foods, stop eating anything designed to replace wheat-based foods, too.Get most of your carbohydrates from veggies. Test your modified meals using the same schedule above. See what impact you can make on your blood sugar by eliminating various high carbohydrate foods.

Be aware that some foods, like pasta digest slowly, so you won't see a blood sugar spike one hour after eating or even, at times, two. But if you test pasta at four or five hours after eating, you may see a spike. The same is true of foods that contain the sweeteners used in "sugar free" foods sold as being good for diabetic diets.

These often will produce a significant blood sugar spike an hour or two later than when you'd see the spike from regular sugar. If a food seems too good to be true, test another hour or two later.

The closer we get to non-diabetic readings, the greater chance we have of avoiding horrible complications.

Here are what doctors currently believe to be non-diabetic readings:

Fasting blood sugar:     under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L)

One hour after meals    under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L

Two hours after meals  under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L)

If you can do better than this, go for it. At a minimum, The American College of Clinical Endocrinologists recommends that people with diabetes keep their blood sugars under 140 mg/dl (7.8 mmol/L) two hours after eating.

When you achieve normal blood sugar targets, you can start cautiously adding back carbohydrates, making sure to test after each meal. Stop adding carbohydrates as soon as you get near your blood sugar targets.

Recent studies have indicated that your "after meal" numbers are those most indicative of future complications, especially heart problems.

Step 3: Test Test Test!
Remember, we're not in a race or a competition with anyone but ourselves. Play around with your food plan. Test, test, test! Learn what foods cause blood sugar spikes and what foods cause cravings. Learn which foods give you healthy blood sugars.

No matter what anyone tells you, if a food raises your blood sugar over the targets you are aiming for, that food should not be part of your diabetes food plan. Your blood sugar meter will tell you what the best "diabetes diet" is for your body. Use it and regain your health!

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Midnightmom,  that info is so true. DH and I both are type 2 diabetics. We have been cutting way down on many things. With DH I have to watch salt. He cannot have much of that either. If he were to get this virus it won't be the diabetics that's the problem but his heart issues and his asmtha that will get him. He only has 1/3 of his heart that is now working and early stage cong. heart failure. There would be no way he would make it through this. So I have been implementing stricter regulations because of it. The kids had better be stepping up their game plan as they will not be coming here. They must stay home. The only way I can help them is to have boxes that I can pack and put on back porch for them to come pick up without ever coming into house.  My stepdaughter might be a big issue but she will find out the hard way. Not getting into this house for any reason. There are other things I am trying to get together like our bedroom. Going to close that off since it has a bathroom in there. I can keep DH in that room where he will be comfortable and can watch TV. I have a chair also in there he can sit in instead of on the bed as well. Not saying any of my measures will work but I won't go down without a fighting chance either.

• Like 7

Thanks, Midnight.  I copy/pasted to send to DH's email.  He's not really trying to lower any of his numbers.....at this time.  But who knows when he'll chose to do something.  :sigh:  His blood draw today....already have the results on line.  Not. Good. 

The comorbidity factors [meaning other diseases, etc that will contribute to COVID-19 being deadly] are heart problems, diabetes, high blood pressure, chronic respiratory problems.....and cancer.  He has the first 3.....I have the fourth one to a certain extent.  5 wks of bronchitis didn't help that for me. I'm stilllll coughing!   [ Neither of us is dealing with cancer.  ]  Maybe I need to back off milk again....I did during the bronchitis to reduce inflammation/congestion.   ???

MtRider  :pray: 

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Do NOT self-medicate for this virus!!!

An Arizona man has died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate — believing it would protect him from becoming infected with the coronavirus. The man's wife also ingested the substance and is under critical care.

The toxic ingredient they consumed was not the medication form of chloroquine, used to treat malaria in humans. Instead, it was an ingredient listed on a parasite treatment for fish. The man's wife told NBC News she'd watched televised briefings during which President Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine. Even though no drugs are approved to prevent or treat COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, some early research suggests it may be useful as a therapy. "We were afraid of getting sick."

The name "chloroquine" resonated with the man's wife, who asked that her name not be used to protect the family's privacy. She'd used it previously to treat her koi fish. "I saw it sitting on the back shelf and thought, 'Hey, isn't that the stuff they're talking about on TV?'"

The couple — both in their 60s and potentially at higher risk for complications of the virus — decided to mix a small amount of the substance with a liquid and drink it as a way to prevent the coronavirus.

Within 20 minutes, both became extremely ill, at first feeling "dizzy and hot." "I started vomiting," the woman told NBC News. "My husband started developing respiratory problems and wanted to hold my hand." She called 911. The emergency responders "were asking a lot of questions" about what they'd consumed. "I was having a hard time talking, falling down."

Shortly after he arrived at the hospital, her husband died.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/man-dies-after-ingesting-chloroquine-attempt-prevent-coronavirus-n1167166?fbclid=

Edited by Midnightmom

This is a very interesting video that explains WHY someone with diabetes is at more risk than the general population. They are not at a higher risk on contracting it, BUT, the ability of the body to fight it once contracted is impaired by many of the effects diabetes has on the body.

• Thanks 2