MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

As I have mentioned on other threads, I am dead serious about tweaking my diet and losing weight.  I chose a low carb/keto path because it worked best for me in the past.  As a reqactive hypoglycemic, I react very strongly to a carb overload.  Ice cream puts me to sleep.  So does pasta, corn, home baked goodies, etc.  So I have been determined to find substitute recipes for me to use.  Mary and I always eat together, and she is able to eat all those high carb goodies, so I do not want to give up making them....just eating them, LOL.  She is content with a breakfast of 4 slices of home made bread and butter....no way does that do anything for me except make me HUNGRIER....Anyway, I found a couple of recipes that I will definitely use again since they mimic the flavors I want to keep enjoying, without the high carbs.  The other thing I needed was that they were not dependent on ingredients that couold get hard to find.  Pork rinds are as exotic as I have been so far, and since I know how to make them, supply should never be an issue.  Here are the first two recipes:

LOW CARB SHAKE AND BAKE (use it the exact same way!)         Servings: 6

Prep time: 5 min               Cook time: 20 min           

Macros Per Serving:* Calories: 605; Fat: 41g; Protein: 53g;  Total Carbs: 2g;  Net Carbs: 1g

*Macros are calculated using pork chops and coconut flour.  Carbs are lower if you use the parmesan from the green jar like I did.  I used mine on chicken, but pork is tomorrows dinner.

6 half pound pork chops or chicken  quarters                      2.5 oz or 1 c of finely ground pork rinds or pork

1 tbsp olive oil                                                                                        bread crumbs

1 tbsp grated parmesan or coconut flour                               1 tsp pink Himalayan salt  (pffft....used lite salt)

1 tsp onion powder                                                                         1 tsp paprika

1/2 tsp garlic powder                                                                     1/4 tsp black pepper

Pinch ground red pepper                                                              Pinch parsley

Pinch basil                                                                                           Pinch oregano

Set oven to 425 F.

Grind pork rinds in your food processor until they are crushed to a fine powder. Alternately, you can use pork bread crumbs.  Add all ingredients (besides the meat) to the food processor. Continue to pulse until combined.  Add pork rind mixture to a gallon sized ziploc bag. If saving some for later, set aside before any meat touches the mixture.  Pat protein dry.  Add 1 portion of protein at a time to the bag, shake to apply a generous coating to each piece of meat.  Place protein on a baking sheet with a raised baking rack.  Bake for 20 minutes at 425F (check internal temperature before serving)  Enjoy!  

I used 1/2 cup of the mixture for 2 chicken quarters and had extra, so next time I will cut back a bit to 1/3 cup.  

This was as advertized....crispy and crunchy.  The pork rind crumbs were quite neutral in taste, so did not detract from the flavor at all.  Wal mart here sells already crushed pork rind crumbs in a jar alongside the bread crumbs....at ZERO carbs per truckload, that is a good ingredient swap for me.  

The other one takes care of those nights when Mary wants pizza and feels guilty that I dont get any....so now I make this which is not an exact copy of pizza, but it is close enough to cover most of the taste cravings....plus the whole pizza crust is only 1 gram of carbohydrate.  I topped mine with 2 TB tomato puree, Italian seasoning, Mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, green peppers and paper thibn onion slivers.  I think a spritz of olive oil would be good too, but I did not have any handy tonight.  It was good though.  I think the whole pizza (an 8 incher as I made the crust medium thick since I was too hungry to roll it out super thin) ran 6 net grams of carebyhydrates. (As compared to our usual pizza, which would have been 112 grams ... )

Chicken Crust Pizza Recipe

This entire chicken pizza crust clocks in at under 1g of TOTAL CARBS! It goes great with a high fat pesto sauce for a fun keto dinner.

total time 30 minutes                servings 1 8-10 inch crust              calories per serving 408kcal     prep time: 5 minutes cook time: 25 minutes

10 oz Canned Chicken, or cooked shredded or ground chicken.  I used chicken breast that I crock potted last night and had in the fridge

1 oz grated parmesan cheese  (fresh or the stuff in the green jar)

1 large Egg

Thoroughly drain the canned chicken, getting as much moisture out as possible.  (I squeezed my refrigerated chicken as dry as I could)

Spread chicken on a baking sheet lined with a silicon mat. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes to dry out the chicken.  ((No silicone mat here...used fat spray on a pizza pan)

Once chicken is done baking for 10 minutes remove and place in a mixing bowl. Increase heat of oven to 500 degrees.  Add cheese and egg to the bowl with chicken and mix.

Pour mixture onto baking sheet lined with a silicon mat and spread thin. Placing parchment paper on top and using a rolling pin makes this easier. Optional: With a spatula press the edges of the crust in to for a ridge for the crust. This is beneficial is you’re using topping that may slide off(i.e. eggs).

Bake the crust for 8-10 minutes at 500 degrees.  (I baked it alongside Marys pizza at 425...it was not as crispy as the recipe said, but it was still good and held together.)

Remove crust from oven. Add desired toppings and bake for another 6-10 minutes at 500 degrees. Toppings will dictate final cook time.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Your life is now changed. Enjoy!

Nutrition Facts:  1 whole pizza crust = Calories 408; Fat 17g; Carbohydrates 1g; Protein 61g

thumbnail?appid=YMailNorrinLaunch

The cauliflower crusts are supposed to be very good, too, but this is what I had on hand, and I priced those cauliflower products....right out of my grocery budget! :shakinghead:

I have to pick up some cream cheese before I can try the pork rind version, which uses pork rind crumbs, cream cheese and an egg.  It sounds easy enough so next payday I will have to get a little cream cheese to try it out.  The cream cheese and pork rinds also feature in a low carb tortilla recipe.

Speaking of pork rinds, I found how how to flavor them at home to make a better junque food....

DORITO DUST MICRO PORK RINDS

Dorito Dust Microwave Pork Rinds are the keto/low carb friendly nacho cheesy solution for snack food cravings while on a ketogenic diet.

Prep Time 15 minutes    Cook Time 5 minutes     Total Time 20 minutes   Servings 1 serving

1 packet cheese powder from Kraft Mac-and-Cheese                        1/4 cup microwaveable pork rinds

1 tsp paprika (I used a heaping teaspoon)                                            1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder                                                                                  1 pinch ground oregano (a little goes a long way)

1 ea paper lunch bag                                                                                1 ea paper plate

Grind paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano together to dust in a spice grinder.  Incorporate the ground dry seasoning mixture with the cheese packet contents. Mix well.

Microwave pork rinds according to the instructions on the bag you are using. In my case, I spread the pork rinds on a paper plate and microwave for about two minutes on high.

Work quickly while the pork rinds are still hot and a bit glistening to remove them to a paper bag and add 1 heaping teaspoon of the seasoning mix. Close the paper bag and shake well. Serve. If you insist on a solo test (or just crave doritos) eat them from the bag.

PORK RIND CHEESE PUFFS “CHEETOS”

2.5 oz Pork Rinds (inexpensive rork rinds)                             1 TB Anthony's Cheddar Cheese Powder (the stuff from mac and cheese works for my test purposes)

1/2 teaspoon White Cheddar Popcorn Seasoning                 Oil Spray

Break up the pork rinds into bite size pieces and place in a large microwave bowl.

In a small bowl mix together the cheddar cheese powder and the white cheddar seasoning.

Lightly spray the pork rinds with avocado or coconut oil. Toss the pork rinds so all are coated with the oil.

Microwave for about 20 or 30 seconds just to warm them up.

Remove from the microwave, sprinkle the cheese powder mixture over the warm pork rinds and toss until evenly coated. Place back in the microwave for another 30 seconds. After 15 seconds you may want toss again to get any extra cheese powder from the bottom of the bowl to adhere to the rinds.

Nutritional Information: Serves 4

109 Calories; 8g Fat; 9g Protein; 1g Net Carbs

CINNAMON KETO PORK RINDS   YIELD: 6 SERVINGS

prep time: 5 MINS           cook time:20 MINS          total time:45 MINS

1 (3.5 ounce) bag pork rinds                                                        1/4 cup butter, melted

1/4 cup erythritol (see note)                                                       1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Add the pork rinds to a gallon Ziploc bag or a large tupperware. Pour the butter in and shake the bag to coat the pork rinds. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar in the bag and shake to coat.

If eating right away, no further step is needed. If storing and saving for later, follow the steps in the notes.

RECIPE NOTES

Tips for making these ahead of time

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. After pouring butter and shaking sure on the pork rinds, spread pork rinds on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.  We live in a humid climate and this helps crisp them up after adding the butter. If you live in a dry climate this might not be necessary.

Erythritol is a natural sugar alternative such as Monkfruit or Swerve.

These are sold at most grocery stores, costco, and amazon.  (i used my regular artificial sweetener - works just as well.)

If  are not doing Keto and just want to make regular Cinnamon pork rinds, use regular sugar.

Amount per serving (1g) — Calories: 160, Fat: 13g

I see no reason we could not use pork rinds in a chex mix recipes to fill that craving....or maybe a ranch seasoned version.....??  The low carb muddy buddies had too many carbs for right now, but they are on deck to test in later weeks. I have to find some of the ingredients or work out substitutes first, LOL.  But for Christmas....hmmm ......  

KETO MUDDY BUDDYS

Prep Time 10 mins;  Cook Time 5 mins;  Total Time 15 mins

Keto Servings: 21    1/2 Cup Servings    Calories: 127.17   Author: Courtney @ Bake It Keto

5 oz Epic Himalayan Pink Salt Pork Rinds (2 Bags)               6 Tbsp Butter

1 Cup Lily's Sugar Free Chocolate Chips                                   2 tsp Vanilla

1/2 Cup Creamy Natural Peanut Butter (make sure           1/4 tsp Cinnamon

the ingredients are just peanuts, or peanuts and          1/8 tsp Salt (if your peanut butter is unsalted)

salt!)                                                                                                1 1/2 Cup Confectioners Swerve OR Granulated

Allulose

If using granulated Allulose to coat the keto puppy chow, you'll need to buzz it in a blender to create the consistency of confectioners sugar before you begin.  I use my Nutribullet to do this. I prefer using Allulose in this recipe since it tastes the most like sugar in my opinion. I use and like Hoosier Hill Farms Allulose.

One at a time, empty the pork rind bags into a gallon zip top bag and break them into Chex-sized pieces with a few whacks of a rolling pin. If any large pieces remain, just break them in half with your fingers. Transfer the pork rinds to a large bowl.

In a medium heatproof bowl combine the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Gently heat over a double boiler, stirring regularly, until the chocolate and butter have melted and combined with the peanut butter to form a smooth mixture.

Add the vanilla, cinnamon, and salt to the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.

Scrape the chocolate mixture out into the bowl of pork rinds and carefully stir to coat every piece. At first, it may not seem like enough chocolate - just keep gently folding and stirring the mixture, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl regularly.

Pour the powdered Allulose or confectioners Swerve into a large clean bowl and dump the pork rind mixture on top. Shake and stir the mixture to dust every chocolate pork rind piece.

Spread the finished Keto Puppy Chow out on a lined cookie sheet to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.  

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving (1.5 oz (approx 1/2 Cup)); Calories 127.17; Calories from Fat 90; Fat 10g; Carbohydrates 4.84g; Fiber 2.9g; Sugar 0.3g; Protein 7.3g;

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

There ya go, some handy dandy crave-stoppers for a kety/low carb diet.  

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
19 hours ago, kappydell said:

As I have mentioned on other threads, I am dead serious about tweaking my diet and losing weight.  I chose a low carb/keto path because it worked best for me in the past. 

Anyway, I found a couple of recipes that I will definitely use again since they mimic the flavors I want to keep enjoying, without the high carbs.  The other thing I needed was that they were not dependent on ingredients that couold get hard to find.  Pork rinds are as exotic as I have been so far, and since I know how to make them, supply should never be an issue.  

My absolutely favorite site for keto recipes is Serious Keto (YouTube). https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCecoI0NlmzY8H8NlP6v3YRg

Here are some sample recipes

Salmon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ygpe1F3Qs

"I have never cared for salmon.  Then I tried this recipe from Milk Street Magazine and my opinion on salmon has changed in a serious way.  In this recipe, the salmon is dry brined with salt and dill.  The salt firms up the flesh while the dill infuses a subtle flavor into the salmon.  Additionally, we only cook the salmon until it's just past rare, so the flesh is firm, yet delicate."

"Pancake" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex-JY0tmOZw

"I got a version of this recipe from one of my viewers, Donna Gorman-Newell.  I made some tweaks on the ingredients and the cooking method and came up with a pancake that my non-keto wife and daughter thought was a real pancake."

Pecan Crusted Fish Filetshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBGlXSIybNo

"I just love when a super simple recipe yields a fantastic end product -- and that's the case with this pecan crusted tilapia (though you can use any fish you want). YOU DO NOT NEED TO USE TILAPIA FOR THIS RECIPE. Substitute in the white fish of your choice. Cooking time may vary, but you want to hit an internal temp of 145F (or 63C)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On skinnytaste.com she has a recipe for sushi stacks. We use cauliflower instead of regular rice. 

There is a tuna recipe that hubs cooks for me that to die for, I will have to find it and post it for you. 

• Like 1

Please do.  Thids keto thing is the only type of diet that works well for me.  No more falling asleep after eating carbs (from my reactive hypoglycemia).  And when Mary suggests that I have been good and can have a donut, or some potato chips I am more easily able to say (calmly) "No thank you".   She actually gets more upset that I don't join her in eating some of our high carb favorites than I do.  I just tell her, "No, too many carbs for right now.  Maybe down the road when I can allow myself more carbs....."

She is able to eat nothing but homemade bread for dinner with no adverse results.  I guess we are kinda like Jack Sprat and his wife only with carbs, LOL.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, kappydell said:

She is able to eat nothing but homemade bread for dinner with no adverse results.  I guess we are kinda like Jack Sprat and his wife only with carbs, LOL.

Jack Sprat could eat no fat

His wife could eat no lean

So between the two of them

They licked the platter clean.

This is why my ID for cooking channels, etc is MRSJACKSPRAT:D This is my "keto" FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ketobetic/

I have links to recipes I have tried, informational posts (medical, etc), and personal experiences w/ the keto diet. You are welcome to check it out if you are on FB. :thumbs: Here are a few recipes/links that are on my page:

• Like 1

I went to your facebook site, MRSJACKSPRAT and it is excellent!  Thank you so much for steering me there, I will be following from now on.  I notice some time ago you posted about using hamburger grease for cooking.  It works beautifully for frying as its smoke point is higher than other fats.  I read somewhere that McDonald's famous french fries used to be cooked in beef tallow (a natural enough idea as they were frying burgers and had all that nice fat on hand, lol).  They changed when public opinion became anti-hard fat oriented.  The fries have never been the same, I can attest to that (I am old and remember those fries from the 1960s).

I have save hamburger grease for years, cleaned it and re used it.  It is the best of all the fats I have tried for frying - once cleaned it is virtually tasteless, but it does brown things up so much more nicely than anything else I have tried.  It even makes a superior soap bar...nice and hard and long lasting.  :thumbs:

The other fat I never waste is poultry (chicken or turkey) fat.  It is soft, even cleaned it is soft, so it makes "soft soap" (it used to be very popular for laundry uses because it dissolved so easily) but its real charm is that it is less saturated fat than most animal fats, and you can substitute it in a one to one ratio in baking for butter or other fats.  Melted it subs nicely for oils.  There is even a lively market for it as a kosher cooking ingredient....last time I looked it was selling for $12 a pound :008Laughing:

So I would not be shy about playing around with the animal fats.  You can always make soap or fat lamps from any excess.  (Oh dont get me started on game fats....)

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2

Thank you for the compliment, Kappy  :hug3:

On 4/25/2021 at 8:03 AM, kappydell said:

The other fat I never waste is poultry (chicken or turkey) fat. 

Chicken fat is known as "schmaltz." One of the channels I follow talks about it and has some "future" plans for using it some of his recipes. Here are 2 of the recipes he mentions it in (but doesn't make it).:cook:

Serious Keto https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCecoI0NlmzY8H8NlP6v3YRg

Keto BBQ Chicken Kabobs / Kebabs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYpi0VntVzQ

Instant Pot Chipotle Shredded Chicken - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TA0cu-22zQ

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

Tonight I made "keto friendly" refrigerator slaw (keeps for weeks in fridge)....with shredded collards!  I can hardly wait to see how nicely they marinate and mellow as the sweet-sour oil and vinegar dressing (sugar free of course) is assertive enough to compliment the greens.  

LONG KEEPER SLAW (modifications in parentheses)

Slaw veggies:

2 lb cabbage, chopped  (2 qts chopped collard greens - chopped fine in blender with 2 c chopped cabbage)

1/2 c chopped green pepper (substituted carrot)

1 c chopped onion 

3/4 c sugar (sugar substitute)

Dressing:

1 c white vinegar

1 tsp sugar (substitute)

1 tsp salt 

3/4 c oil

1 tsp dry mustard

1 tsp celery seeds

Combine slaw veggies of your choice.  Mix until evenly mixed.  Stir in the sugar/substitute.

Boil dressing ingredients, leaving out sugar substitute if it is not heat stable (sweet & low).  Mix into vegetables.  Add sweetener and mix in.  Refrigerate, covered.  

Stays good in fridge for weeks IF you can keep from noshing on it.  About 18 cups.  Per cup = 90 calories, 8 g fat, 4.5 g carbs, 2.3 g fiber (net carbs 2.2 grams!)

sodium 124 g, calcium 72 mg, potassium 110 mg.  

184119113_collardslawmadebwithlongkeeperslawrecipe(sweetsour).jpg.f153e3ed3c3ec43dd352d097a15d2706.jpg       Such a deep green!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My quick & easy keto slaw was a bag of shredded cabbage with Primal Kitchen’s ranch dressing (not a creamy ranch like normal ranch, more tangy) and a few drops of stevia glycerite. Made for something quick to toss into my lunches. Need to get back to low carbing again.

I just picked a head of cabbage for more keto friendly eats.  Mary is getting irritated at eating different food than I do, she says it makes her feel guilty.  No matter what I say, it does not seem to help.  I am hoping she will come to terms with my adjusted dietary instead of looking on it as a "crackpot" diet.  If I ate like her I would have to cut back to portions so teensy it would not even be worth eating.  I keep telling her I do not mind her eating homemade bread and the other goodies I make for her to eat alone.  Even those goodies I used to relish, I am losing my cravings for.  But one bite of high carb foods, and, as I have learned from experience, all the cravinge return with a vengeance.  So I cant - won't - go there.  I wish I had something I could say to reassure her that I still enjoy eating with her, but I cant eat the same goodies.  Our bodies are different.  Just as she cannot eat high fat foods, or spicy foods, because she has a finicky stomach, I cannot eat many carbs at all because of my hypoglycemia and weight gain issues. I am FRUSTRATED! 

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2