MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Aspirin can significantly cut COVID risks — and even death!

Will TPTB now try to make it impossible to buy ASPIRIN???  :puzzledsmile:

A new study finds that simple, over-the-counter aspirin may be able to protect COVID-19 patients from extreme risk, including the need for mechanical ventilation, the Jerusalem Post reported.

New research from George Washington University has determined that treating COVID patients with aspirin reduced the risk of severe illness by nearly half.

The report noted that an aspirin regimen in more than 400 COVID-19 patients in hospitals across the United States cut the need for ventilation by 44%, slashed ICU admission by 43%, and reduced overall in-hospital mortality rates by 47%.

Dr. Jonathan Chow, one of the study's researchers, said, "As we learned about the connection between blood clots and COVID-19, we knew that aspirin — used to prevent stroke and heart attack — could be important for COVID-19 patients. Our research found an association between low-dose aspirin and decreased severity of COVID-19 and death."

This isn't the only study professing the possible benefits of aspirin in COVID patients. Earlier in October, Medical Express reported that researchers from the University of Minnesota and Basel University in Switzerland came to the same conclusion.

The researchers' findings were published in Lancet's Open Access eClinical Medicine and revealed that patients on blood thinners before getting COVID were admitted less often to the hospital despite being older and having more chronic medical conditions than their peers. The findings also revealed that blood thinners — whether started before or after COVID-19 infection — reduced death by nearly half.

Lead author Sameh Hozayen said, "We know that COVID-19 causes blood clots that can kill patients. But, do blood thinners save lives in COVID-19? Blood thinners are medications prescribed to prevent blood clots in patients with a prior blood clot in their lungs or legs. They also prevent blood clots in the brain secondary to abnormal heart rhythms, like atrial fibrillation. Blood thinners are the standard of treatment in these diseases, which is why we looked at data to see if it impacted hospitalizations related to COVID-19."

https://www.theblaze.com/news/study-aspirin-cut-covid-risks?

So, it looks like the Xarelto I take for my AFib could also reduce any complications I might develop IF the "coof" ever got me. :thumbs:

Link to article in the Jerusalem Post that The Blaze story is based on:

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellness/aspirin-lowers-risk-of-covid-new-findings-support-preliminary-israeli-trial-681127

• Thanks 3

I heard about this and I already take the 81mg. as doctor told me to start taken it years ago. It does thin the blood over time. So the only thing I can think of it would be good for where corvid is concerned is to hopefully prevent a blood clot from happening. And yes, just in case I will be stocking aspirin to a certain degree as aspirin can go bad but does last way past the expiration  date. If you open a bottle and it smells like vinegar then it has gone bad. I wouldn't put it past our gov. to shorting our supply of that as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I heard about this and I already take the 81mg. as doctor told me to start taken it years ago.

I was put on the 81 mg aspirin while in the hospital last month. I'm not into daily meds but thought I might stay on this regimen. I'm just not sure and haven't taken the time to research it.  :scratchhead:  The cardiac docs at the hospital put me on bp and cholesterol meds on the way out the door. I didn't take them until I talked to my regular VA doc. She had me take my bp for several weeks before making the decision. Past cholesterol blood tests came out normal. Two weeks later, my bp and cholesterol meds are sitting on the dresser. BP averages 118/67 throughout the day.  I don't like to be TOO cautious and take all these drugs just because I'm getting old.  :laughkick:

• Like 2

Homesteader, I tend to agree with you about taken meds. I hate it. But I would take the aspirin. As for the B/p meds. just keep an eye on your B/p. if it is staying in normal range just hold on to the medicine if you have it. You never know. I was not on B/p meds till last year when I was struggling with getting the proper help for Dh. That was a fight to the finish. My B/p was way up. I mean scary up. Went to doctor and he flipped out. Though mine was because of the stress I was under while taken care of Dh. Hardest thing to have to do in the middle of a pandemic and not being able to get home health or see a doctor for labs or anything.  Seeing each other on a computer is not caring for a patient as doctors needed to see Dh and that didn't happen. So 4 hospital visits with no follow up care. So yes I am taken blood pressure meds right now. But hoping that all this will settle down as time goes on and I can get off of it. 

Homesteader, praying that your B/p stays at normal levels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Homesteader said:

The cardiac docs at the hospital put me on bp and cholesterol meds on the way out the door. I didn't take them until I talked to my regular VA doc.

That is a very good choice. Most of my docs, want me to take a cholesterol med because my overall score is high. But, if you do the calculations the ratio btwn the two types is optimal. They can't seem to understand that the fat floating around in my blood is stuff that has been released by my body and is on the way out the door!

BTW- I have links to very interesting articles, websites, and videos that will bolster your opinion for not taking cholesterol blockers. Let me know if you would like me to send them to you via the messaging option here.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

BTW- I have links to very interesting articles, websites, and videos that will bolster your opinion for not taking cholesterol blockers. Let me know if you would like me to send them to you via the messaging option here.

Yes, please.  :hug3: