MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

just for fun...

pot pie

meatball or ground beef soup

hamburger patty and gravy with vegetables and bread or bisquits

casserole

cinnamon rolls

Hamburgers and bun with pickled carrots and beans (everyone has vinegar!)

beef stroganoff over bisquits

I am ready

Hamburger Gravy over biscuits for dinner. At night Hamburger steaks with greenbeans and carrots, with a cream gravy to go over the top of the steaks. Lets see you could make bread, rolls, tortilla shells, you name it.. There have been plenty of times where I have made something out of "nothing"...

Theyd,

you sent me a recipe book with this in it, in case company drops by:

Carrot Fondant – 1 carrot, powdered sugar, flavoring. Cook one large carrot until soft. Mash and cream. Stir in sugar until consistency to be easily handled. Form into small, even, attractive shapes. After flavoring with lemon or orange. Nuts, raisins, or coconut may be added for variety.

westbrook I knew you could come up with lots of ideas

that carrot one sounds good... have you tried it yet?

glad you are getting some use out of them; they where just going to waste here.

I don't cook much any more not like i use to. with it being just DH and i and he's on such a diet... then he is a picky eater. to fix something just for me isn't cost efficant. I can eat almost anything. I was blessed with good cooks growing up who introduced us to many kinds of food. there is a couple of things i will not eat and yes i will go hungry frist. not really not as long as there is an outdoors. pine bark is eatable for me.

WiccadStargazer.

take a chicken and bake, add some mixed vegetables and wella dinner. Save all the left over vegetables in a bowl in the refrigerator to be used tomorrow.

Take all of the bones and left overs from the baked chicken and put it in a crock pot or stew pot. The bones make a richer more flavorful broth. Fish out the bones and throw away.

Chicken Pot Pie

to make gravey:

1 Tablespoon cornstarch

1/2 cup water or cold fat-free beef or fat free chicken broth

Mix cornstarch and cold water or broth well. Add hot water or broth. Stir over medium high heat until thickened. Simmer 5 minutes to cook cornstarch. Makes 1 cup

To make Pie Shell

2 cups flour

2/3 cup shortening

1/2 tsp. salt

10 tbsp cold water

Directions:

Combine flour and salt in a mixing bowl.

Cut shortening into flour with a pastry blender or 2 knives.

Do not over mix - these are sufficiently blended when the particles are the size of peas.

Add water gradually, sprinkling one tablespoon at a time over mixture. You may not need all 10 tbsp of water.

Toss lightly with a fork until all particles are dampened, then combine further with your hands, gently rolling the dough into a ball.

Roll out on a lightly floured pastry board to 1/8" thick.

Makes enough for 2 pie pastry shells, or 1 covered pie shell.

Unbaked pie shells can be wrapped in plastic wrap and frozen.

Before baking the unfilled shell, be sure to poke it several times with a fork, to prevent air bubbles.

Roll pastry out and place in baking dish, place meat, leftover vegetables (include cubed potatoes) and cooled gravy in dish. Place pastry shell on top (poke holes in top to release steam)

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

With the left over meat, gravy and vegetables put back in broth. Now you have soup! add noodles or rice.

There is three serious meals or more from one chicken and a bag of frozen vegetables.

Port roast the same but there is more meat on it so you can eat a couple of meals using the roast before making pot pies and soup.

sure you have an oven!

do ya have a dutch oven? or how about a BBQ?

bake pizza in your BBQ! or bread or cake. using a BBQ to cook pizza is almost as good as having an open heart oven and better then using a bread stone in a standard oven.

Dutch oven? bread or cake.

WiccadStargazer, do you have a crock pot?

They are *so* handy!

I like to use mine when I'm very busy, or when I don't want to heat the house by cooking in the summer.