MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wood Cookstoves... model suggestions?

Howdy, all...

We're toying with the idea of a wood cookstove for (obviously) cooking and hot water for radiant heat. I know that they're the cat's pygamas for baking in, but how are they for heating and do the water jackets provide a steady supply of hot water (flow wise, eg. how long does it take on your model to heat it up).

This is one of the many things we've talked about here as a part of the remodel... any suggestions? warnings? anecdotal information?

Thank you...

Dad

I didn't even know they still made those kind of all purpose stoves anymore. I thought you had to buy an oldie to get a cook/heat/water heater model. Have you found a dealer that sells these? I know Lehmans sells some stoves but I'm sure the shipping would break someone.

We were talking about this in "Homesteading" not too long ago, and I posted some links to Lehman's and other places. I bumped the thread up to the top if you go there & look.

You might want to place a call or email Lehman's to get a good idea of the stoves they sell. Here's a direct link to the stoves they sell:

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType...amp;iSubCat=671

If you want to keep the mess of wood heat outside, there are wood stoves that sit away from the house and provide heat and hot water for your home. DH's been wanting one of these for *years*.

http://members.tripod.com/~c-ebert/index-6.html

http://www.farmshow.com/index/results.as...amp;amp;code=65

>>"I know that they're the cat's pygamas for baking in"<<

umm no. It takes a long time to get the hang of getting the temperature correct. The easiest way is to put your hand inside and see how long you can keep in there before you have to remove it.. this will tell you whether you have a slow, medium, or quick oven... I mean warm, medium or hot oven.

You will need to keep wood burning in it all the time to maintain an oven to bake in and a stove top to cook on (don't forget to keep a pan of water on the stove cause the air gets so dry). Now assuming

>>"how are they for heating"<<

how high are your ceilings? big is the room? size of stove/oven you are going to put in?

The ranch had a standard 8 foot ceiling, and the kitchen was huge! well huge to a small child anyway. The kitchen easily sat 10 people for dining. The wood burning stove was a real 1800's wood burning stove with a huge oven. It was large enough to heat the kitchen but of course the closer you were the warmer you were.

>>"do the water jackets provide a steady supply of hot water (flow wise, eg. how long does it take on your model to heat it up)."<<

I can't answer this except to say, when being bathed in the kitchen in a wash tub, it was as close to the stove as it could get without interfering with the loading of the wood or opening the door to get out the pie or bread. The water was mixed with cold and you got a nice warm bath...if you were first! but first only got about an inch of water to bath in. First was the cleanest! dirtiest was last but got more water. There was always water heating on the stove.

I remember having to put the water in the container on the side of the stove it wasn't plumbed to any water supply.

I have a small wood burning stove/oven out in the garage, my kitchen can't accomodate both. If I need it...it is ready to be put and once it is fired up, i am ready to bake a loaf of bread in the oven.

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting to get mine hooked up. As mine is an older model it has a water resivoir but no plumbing to get water out of it except for dipping. I have seen Lehman's and know that they have a water jacket type thing that you can hook up to one to supply your hot water.

Wes I didn't know you had a wood cookstove. How long does it usually take to get it warmed up enough to cook and bake? I have people looking for some used stove pipe for me. Here it's 4.99 per 2 foot section. I need twenty foot. Which to me still doesn't sound all that expensive. But the cheaper I can find it the better. When I mentioned it a work this morning one of our customers said "Dang it" I think I just threw some away!!!!! UGH!!

Have a great evening!

Buttercup