MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

freezing milk

I had read on another forum for frugal moms (Titus 2, I posted I think in this section) that the big round indentation in the milk gallon is supposed to allow for freezing, so I had been just throwing mine in-had to rescue 3 gallons that burst so now I always take some out.

2% freezes better than whole. The whole I have frozen I have to use for cooking cause it separated a bit and no one will drink it LOL. I tried shaking it and running it through the blender blade on my food processor, no such luck!

I freeze milk all the time, and though I've read it may separate, mine hasn't. Maybe a too-cold freezer affects it? I wonder if you mixed in just a cup or so of reconstituted powdered milk whether it would keep it from separating again once it's thawed? I've been stretching the milk by mixing in powdered once it's about half gone and so far no one has noticed! (he he)

That is definitely something I would try if we were on our own. Right now we are living with friends and my roommate is rather, umm, particular about her milk. Before we moved in, all of my milk was half regular 2%, half powdered mixed up. Since it's too expensive for us to keep separate food except for a few particulars, we share most everything so this is one of those things I've had to compromise on!

Thanks for the suggestion. That whole milk was $1.19/gallon (I think it was mismarked!) so even if all I can use it for is cooking I will feel OK about it. Thanksgiving is coming up and there will be lots of goodies for it to go in.