MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

L ~Calling all canners!

Guest Guest

Down here in South Florida, we're entering into our growing season...

I went to the veggie and fruit stand yesterday and bought 125lbs of tomatoes, I have another 100lbs coming on Friday and also a bushel of corn. The neat thing is that I got one of the 25lb boxes of tomatoes for only $4.00 cause the tomatoes weren't *customer desired* perfect...weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Anyway, I'm looking for recipes that make meals, that I can can. Currently I'm making marinara, conch chowder, beef stew, chicken soup, chicken caccitore, sloppy joesetc...I've read in a few places that when making chili, to not add the beans to the meat...anyone know why?

I know there's a wealth of experienced canners here and wanted to ask if y'all would share your recipes for meals that can be canned...

Thanks...off to start processing these tomatoes...

Me and my ideas...*rolling eyes*

lol

Wow, what a great buy you got.

I know I canned chili in 1999 and also 3 bean hotdish.. The stuff tasted burned when we ate it, maybe that is why you shouldn't put the beans in.

I don't think I would can either again.

I think just canning the tomatoes and having them ready to put into other things would be what I would do.

Have you ever made just juice or ketcup???? I'm sure you could find a recipe on line someplace for Ketcup. I have one, but it doesn't really taste like ketcup. I don't know why, as when I was a girl at home, well, a LONG time ago, when I was about 4 years old, my mother made it and it was good. Then of course, everything changes, doesn't it.

Good luck on all you are canning. Now, as for the corn, I like the frozen corn much better than the canned corn.

another reason is if you use dried beans, you have to cook them first. If you put them right in the chili, the tomato keeps them from softening up. yuck lol. there is a good conch recipe in the Gaspirilla cookbook if you can find one down there. I got mine at books a million, but it seems to have gone missing around here somewhere.

quiltys, I have an AWESOME conch chowder recipe that I make and I did can and it came out awesome...it's the real mccoy. I've just been racking my brains trying to think of other things to make too...

Next...

*darlene SWATs westie...*

You better SHARE or I'm gonna tell SNOWMOM!

HA!

LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Spider for the link...

I canned chicken caccitore yesterday and it came out AWESOME...I also recently canned salsa too.

While homey was here, I cleaned out my cupboards and dedicated a whole section just for canning stuff...I'll hafta take a picture of it. Not only is it pretty for me to look at (lol), but helps me to keep it all organized too.

Every time I can, I'm that much more convinced that it's worth the extra work vs. buying store bought preservative garbage, but that's just me.

Thanks for all the ideas!

I agree with you Darlene. I usually can my soups. Hubby and I hardly ever eat store bought soup. They cannot compare to homemade. I just need to find some land to plant my garden on so that I'll have what I need to can this year. Last year I had to buy it and it was a bit expensive.

Archived