MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can we can these items?

Motherhen

Thanks to the encouragement from you ladies, we've bought a pressure canner and dh is really getting into this, now that he's been laid off.

He's eager and got some specials on meat today at the store...wants to know if he can 'can' peameal bacon--has a smidgen of cornmeal on the one edge;....and wants to know if liver can be canned too.

Thanks to the encouragement from you ladies, we've bought a pressure canner and dh is really getting into this, now that he's been laid off.

He's eager and got some specials on meat today at the store...wants to know if he can 'can' peameal bacon--has a smidgen of cornmeal on the one edge;....and wants to know if liver can be canned too.

Motherhen,

I know that bacon is not recommended for canning, but if you look in the edge -- I think it's the third page -- there is a thread on how to do it if you're willing to take the chance of using an unapproved recipe.

As far as liver goes, I would think it'd just deteriorate under the heat and pressure but am not certain...ummmm, Violet? :D

I just happened to have out the small Extension Service publication for meats. It speaks of chicken, beef, game, etc., not organ meat.

Not being a lover of organ meat, I believe those organs would be best frozen and then used as needed.

We'll likely just eat the liver cooked up. The peameal bacon is not "bacon" but I guess the Americans call it Canadian bacon (we canadians call it peameal bacon). Right now its in a roast form which he'd pack as chunks or slices--not sure. Would that make a difference since its not actually 'bacon'?

I know someone canned it as 'ham' and processed it according to the time specs in the BallBlue Book. It did turn out fine.

You would have to remove all of the cornmeal first. I would suggest washing it off after trimming if you are going to can it. Cornmeal would be considered a thickener and also would lower the acid level. You are better off freezing it.

No organ meats, sorry. You cannot safely dry it, either. Not for human consumption, anyway. The only safe meat to dry is jerky that has been properly marinated with enough salt to preserve it.

Archived