MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning frozen green beans

ToAutumn

can you can green beans that have been frozen? I have 2 bags of frozen green beans that are starting to build up ice, I'm afraid they're going to get freezer burned before I can use them. With me and hubby home only 2 days a week we don't eat as much at home, but I don't want my frozen vegs to go to waste. Does anyone know if you can can frozen vegs?

• 9 months later...

Maybe this is in another thread, but...

We can frozen 'stuff' (veges, fruits, meats) all the time. Sometimes there's not enough time and it's easier to throw stuff in the freezer and can it later. If I know I'm gonna can it later, then I put it in gallon size freezer bags and when ready to can I just thaw and proceed like it's fresh. We've peeled and froze tomatoes in the large ice-cream buckets-just make sure you leave enough space for expansion. This is so great to do in the middle of harvest, cuz when I'm really busy trying to get the pickles done (can't be frozen), I don't have to ditch the tomatoes or beans or whatever that can be frozen.

I've not canned frozen veggies just by themselves, though I'm sure you can. I have, however, canned a ton of soup I made with frozen veggies. Can't tell the difference from fresh. If the electricity goes out and the freezers are starting to thaw, you can bet I'd be canning every thing I could out of them.

Go for it.

Archived