MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What to do with 2 pounds of hamburger...

I am so tired of the same old stuff. I have 2 pounds of hamburger thawed.. And I have a ham bone I need to use.. I have the basics as in beans, rice, veggies,macaroni, cheese, milk... You name it I have it.. Not too mention a cupboard especially for spices chalk full.. (or is that chuck?) Somebody give me ideas!!!!! Please???

Use 1 lb to make stuffed green peppers with the rice and beans and spices. Side of mac and cheese. Brown the other lb at the same time and freeze it so it will be ready for chili on the first cool fall day.

Hambone and soup beans - oops! that's another thread!!

A favorite in my family is Meatballs and gravy...

For every 1lb of ground beef add:

1 handful of breadcrubs

1 medium onion chopped

1 egg

Salt and pepper to taste

Mix above with ground beef, shape into meatball size. Put a little oil in the pan, and brown meatballs. Put in roaster. With drippings make a gravy (I just use cream of mushroom soup, any gravy will work). Pour gravy over meatballs and bake in oven at 350 for 1 hour.

I usually serve that with mashed potatoes.

You could also make tacos, a meatsauce spaghetti, sloppy joes or even picadillo is awesome (that's a cuban dish)...

With the ham bone I'd make a pot of soup too, either split pea or navybean, and make a fresh loaf of bread to go with it...

I like Tex Mex Fiesta Casserole

Cook up some rice. Brown 1# hamburger with onions and green pepper (you can use your freeze dried) then add 2 small cans tomatoe sauce (I guess any tomatoes would work), chili seasoning, add 2 cups hot cooked rice and some grated cheese. Pour into a casserole and put more cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes to heat through at 350.

put the ham bone in a "crock pot" with beans and water! if you have an onion, dice it and throw it in.

Do not salt!!!! salt keeps the bean shells hard... salt after they are cooked.

Thyme and a bayleaf, pepper and once cooked salt to taste.

there is 2 days worth of eating!

Archived