MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Asthma

HapyGirl

I went to the Dr today, and in addition to a prescription for antibiotics to knock out a horrible sinus infection I was officially diagnosed with asthma. My peak flow rate was only 86%. No wonder I'm so tired, I'm not getting enough oxygen!

Does anyone here have some links to particularly good websites or have personal experience dealing with it? I am not so bad I need an inhaler, but she is going to put me on Flonase and Adavair in addition to the Zyrtek I'm taking for my allergies.

I am so glad I splurged on nanomasks now, in my case it might be good to wear one anytime I go out in public! I seem to get every respritory bug out there and it looks like instead of being a luxury this will be a necessity for my preps!

Becca,

Have you had massage before? If you have someone run their fingers inbetween your ribs (you can do this yourself, but it feels better when someone else does it), it will help relax the intercostal muscles and that will help you breathe easier.

When I did my hospital internship during massage school, I worked on a child about a year old that had asthma. It aslo helped my little brother. Also massage on the pecs helps, though if it's your first massage, it might feel weird (it was for me anyway, I'm not a touchy feely person, kind of odd for a massage therapist huh?) Note: pec massage is NOT boob massage! That's what my aunts thought when I told them they needed it because they slouch over their keyboards all day, it took me months to convince them pec massage would help! Hope this helps a little.

I have to use my nastal spray each and every day for my allergies, I also use Azmacort 2 times a day to help me. I have an Albuterol inhaler for my Asthma, but I don't use it all that often. Probably not like I should. I know it helps me but I just don't use it like I should.

Lois, I'll also take a look at what you mentioned.

I have asthma and it is soooo much worse in humid conditions. I lived in AR for several years and stayed sick all the time. Now that I'm back home in the dry southwest, I'm much better. I can't tolerate any of the meds, so I'm just on my own with symptoms and have to manage with lifestyle and diet (nothing special just healthy) and staying fit.

Well that's good to know! I'm in So OR, it's very dry here in the summer, and only wet for a few months a year. I know the mold issue is much better here than the midwest which is where I've lived most of my life.

I'm glad you have your asthma under control! I think for me it's only bad enough for meds when I am sick. Otherwise the wheezing/cough are not there, just the chest tightness on the right side. So I am hoping I will only need to take the albuterol when I'm sick.

It can be both dry at time and then very humid at other times here. The dr. told me I had to stay where there is an A/C so that I don't end up with a bad sinus problem when it is hot and humid. Therefore, I don't go out unless I'm heading for the van or something when it is humid out.

• 4 weeks later...

ok....heres a question. how can you tell if an infant/child is having an asthma attack? my husband had asthma as a child, and so i am worried that morrigan may develop(or have?) asthma. if she had an asthma attack, i dont know if i would figure it out. anyways, i am a little scared about it. *puts 911 on speed dial*

Pixie, our two older children had asthma as young children too. They would be gasping for air and coughing. We had them at the clinic at least once a week, or it seemed that way. They had medication to take and our DD didn't like it at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Pixie when I was a child I never wheezed unless I was sick. I got bronchitus a lot, and would get a lingering cough. It was like every cold I got would go straight to my chest. Some kids only have symptoms when they excersize, or when they are sick. If I had known it wasn't supposed to hurt when I breathed when I was excersizing it would have been easier to get me diagnosed. Most kids with asthma also have allergy symptoms so keep an eye out for those as well.

my husband is a walking ball of allergies. lol dust, cats, dogs, pollen, you name it, lol so i keep a close eye on morrigan. she does cough occationally, she also fake coughs, she is doing that now. lol its kinda like a half cough, half chuckle. the first thing she did when she came out is sneeze. well, once she was done crying, she was crying as her head came through! pat sneezes a lot due to a combination of sinusitis, and allergies. so i do worry about my baby. so far she is healthy as can be. and i hope she stays that way.

Becca, I'm glad you started this thread. My doctor wants me to keep a log so we can see what my peak flow rate is. The past three or so years I've developed some springtime allergies and the colds I've gotten have turned into bronchial infections. So I want to learn more on how to strengthen my system too.

Goatherder, my doctor told me that my problem is exacerbated when the air is dry. He recommended I use a humidifier and also get a mist inhaler from Linens 'n Things. Right now I'm using a humidifier in my bedroom every night.

I had tried Advair for a week or so and ever since my vocal cords have been raspy at times. My doctor said I need more humidity. Maybe people are just different in their needs with this.....

I went to the allergist on monday and had all the tests. I'm allergic to mold, grass, certain trees, my dog and dust mites. I decided to go with the allergy shots, since it might make it possible for me to eliminate the bulk of my health issues. Seems a valid prep too, since it might make it possible for me to drop 2 of my meds.

Archived