MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Toffee recipe

1/4 lb butter

1/2 lb granulated sugar

2 tablespoons vinegar

2 level tablespoons golden syrup

Us e a heavy pan, not too samll, as the mixture froths a bit.

Place butter in pan over heat to begin melting. Add rest of ingredients, stir until sugar is melted.

Bring to the boil and boil briskly, stirring occasionally, until mixture turns golden brown.

Our into a greased, shallow tin ( 7" square is a suitable size).

Mark into squares before quite set; it will then break more easily.

Treacle Toffee

(my favourite!)

1lb Barbados sugar

1lb black treacle/molasses

2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar

4 ounces butter

Put sugar and treacle/molasses and vinegar into a large suacepan and stir over a low heat until sugar is completely dissolved.

Bring very slowly to boiling point, and keep it boiling for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Carefully and gradually stir in the butter, in thin pieces, piece by oiece.

Continue to boil to 284*f, 142*c, soft crack stage. Remove from heat, and allow toffee to settle a minute. Pour gently into a well-greased tin. When cool, mark into squares, and when cold, break into pieces.

Variation: substitute half of the treacle with honey.

Here i go.....asking questions again.....

Would you know if golden syrup is the same thing as Karo Syrup or corn syrup?? And do you think Treacle would be like regular dark molasses?

Got one more for ya....what's Barbados sugar?

Sorry as always for asking you stuff!

The recipe sounds yummy! Thanks!

deb

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

Molasses should be fine, as it's mentioned in the book. Our golden syrup is an inverted sugar syrup, so don't know if corn syrup would be the same thing. I will try and find out. Ours is a by-product of something in the sugar industry; it is a very thick viscose golden very sweet syrup. and is made by Tate and Lyle. Barbados sugar is the very dark, soft, almost sticky sugar that sort of clumps together. sorry for the non-culinary description, but that's pretty accurate! Again, will try and find out.

Thanks Lowie......i bet Barbados sugar is like our brown sugar....sounds like it.

Not sure about the syrup though......it comes in light and dark....it's thick but not that thick....bet it's close enough...it is what is used in most candy making.

Won't know until i try it!

ps....i wonder if the toffee would be enhanced with putting a layer of melted chocolate on the top???

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

[This message has been edited by debbielee (edited November 08, 2002).]

Yes, it would enhance it! they actually sell chocolate covered toffee in Scotland in little bars, and I love that. Never done it before with home-made toffee, and think the layer of chocolate should be quite thin - sorry! Let me know if you try this!!

When I make toffee, after putting it the pan, I put two Hershey Bars on it while it's hot. Place a cookie sheet over it for just a few minutes to hold in the heat; that will melt the chocolate very quickly. Spread the chocolate evenly, and top with chopped pecans.

Oh Mary - you post my type of recipes - chocolate and toffee together mmmmmmm grin.gif

We have a lovely American lady from Chicago in our village who's a great help with translating all the recipes I find on the net. And she's previously told me to substitute golden syrup for light corn syrup as it worked in almost everything

I'd better just mention that my Chicago neighbour says golden syrup is nearly twice as sweet as corn syrup though - in her opinion. So sometimes she uses a bit less but most of the time she just does a straight swap and it turns out OK

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my favorite toffee recipe... I got it years ago now...

1 1/2c. sugar

1 c. real butter

1/2 c. margarine

3 T. water

put everything into one pan and heat on high heat, continually stirring in the same direction (for some odd reason this does matter)

When it starts to boil and turn the color of carmel... and starts to smoke ( that's the butter actually burning)... it's done!

I pour it onto a pizza pan or jelly roll pan to cool, but before it cools, I sprinkle on milk chocolate chips... the heat melts the chips and you can easily spread the chocolate. Sometimes I pour the toffee mix over chopped nuts on the pan so the nuts are in the toffee not on top of it. It tastes great!!!

Llamamomma

debbielee...as soon as I read Lowlanders recipe, I know that the next post would be from the inquiring mind of debbielee..rofl!

Thanks Lowlander......this one also went into my recipe book......boy, you guys eat well over across the pond.

• 2 years later...

It's ironic that you bumped this to the top Cat, cause I just got done making a double batch of Chocolate covered Toffee with nuts...

Here's the recipe I use:

English Toffee

1 cup real butter, no margarine

1 1/3 cups sugar

1 tablespoon corn syrup

2 tablespoons water

1 teaspoon real vanilla extract

1/2 cup chopped chocolate

1 cup finely chopped walnuts

Microwave on full power 5 minutes. Stir. Microwave another 5-6 minutes, or until brittle crack stage, 295 degrees. OR, use a saucepan over medium heat, stirring and measuring the temperature until it reaches 295 degrees. Slowly add vanilla, and quickly pour onto buttered baking sheet. Sprinkle with chocolate. Allow to stand about 5 minutes. Spread the chocolate, and sprinkle with finely chopped nuts. When cool, break into pieces.