MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A little Cranberry Trivia

BY NOW, NEARLY all of the cranberry crop has been harvested. Millions and millions of the little hard, tart ruby berries grown in the bogs of Cape Cod (Massachusetts), New Jersey, Wisconsin, Washington, Oregon, and the Maritime Provinces of Canada have been bagged fresh or earmarked for juice or canned sauce. The cranberry is a genuine Native American, Vaccinium macrocarpon, a member of the heath family and a relative of the blueberry and huckleberry. The Pequot Indians of Cape Cod called the berry ibimi, meaning bitter berry, and combined crushed cranberries with dried venison and fat to make pemmican.

The Pilgrims and those who followed appreciated the wild berries but did not start to cultivate them until 1816, when a bog was planted and tended in Dennis on Cape Cod. By then, American and Canadian sailors on long voyages knew they could eat cranberries to protect themselves from scurvy -- making them a cranberry counterpart to British "limeys."

------------------

reci.jpg

snoop2.gif

I love cranberries; we can grow them here as long as we have a suitable bed of acid soil, and I want a couple of plants next year.

The supermarkets here always get in the cranberries well before Christmas, and as a result there are lots left that are put on at reduced price, close to their sellby date, to clear them before the next lot come in. I buy loads of them and put them in the freezer. Wonder if you could make wine...................?

------------------

lowlander.jpg

I Love them toooooo!

Hey don't listen to Ed......if there's one thing that man knows......it's Cranberries!!!!!! Can Lowie make wine?

I've had cranberry wine from Plymouth Ma....it was Awesome....had it with Thanksgiving dinner......wonderful!

Hey Lowie.....if you can grow cranberries....you can grow Lingonberries....ever had them? They are a staple in Sweden.....lingonberry sauce....yum!

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

[This message has been edited by debbielee (edited November 19, 2002).]

Is that drying fresh cranberries so they are like raisins? I have the method somewhere in the house, as I came across that a few years ago. If Ed knows how, it would save pulling the house apart to find it!

------------------

lowlander.jpg

Ya know....i tried making those things in my dehydrator....took forever...and they don't taste ANYTHING like the real thing.....i think if i made them again...i'd boil them in sugar water instead of just plain water before dehydrating them....just a tip.

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg

[This message has been edited by debbielee (edited November 21, 2002).]

For each 6 thousands pounds of sliced and "de-seeded" cranberries add...naw! I'll have to cut this down just a "bit"..as for wine? sure! many recipes on the net!...I'll be back!

------------------

edandpeg.gif

DebbieLee-

did you boil them till they "popped" before you dehydrated them?

I would like to make a "lower carb" version by using a sweetener other than table sugar. Any ideas?

Ed-where did you go????

Slice fruit.."steep" them in hot water for an hour or so. berries must be cut. Soak fruit with sugar and crandberry concentrate...Sorry.. My work, employer..I can not tell the recipe...Ed

------------------

edandpeg.gif

MidniteMommie.....yup i did boil em first....with no sugar...big mistake.....looks like Ed is droppin hints....gotta cut em first.....steep....soak in sugar ....very interesting!! That looks close to a recipe...wouldln't want our Eddie to get in trouble with the cranberry police.....would we now.....noooooooooooo.

deb

------------------

debbieLee1.jpg