MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

black friday

Kygal

Black Friday is a phrase originally coined during the Great Depression, because it was a Friday when the stock market crashed and died.

Today, when someone says Black Friday, it is because it is the day that retailers hope to sell enough to show a profit for the calendar year. Suppossedly, they operate 'in the red' all year, but with the kick-off of the Holiday shopping season, they may turn enough profit in that 1 day to go from 'red ink' to black in their bookeeping.

That alone is the very reason I don't shop on this day. There are so many crazy people looking for bargains, they will run over you thinking you may get something they don't.

Sadly, if they watched true sales, they would realize that the best bargains are in the 2nd week of January, when merchants need to clear their stock for the new season. The stuff you get 'on sale' on Black Friday is quite often false markdowns. In other words, prices are first raised, then lowered to a price just above the pre-season price. You just think you're getting a bargain.

Not every merchant does this but, I've seen it done so often it makes my blood boil. Then people flock to these so called sales like sheep, just to get ripped off.

Quote:
Black Friday is a phrase originally coined during the Great Depression, because it was a Friday when the stock market crashed and died.

Today, when someone says Black Friday, it is because it is the day that retailers hope to sell enough to show a profit for the calendar year. Suppossedly, they operate 'in the red' all year, but with the kick-off of the Holiday shopping season, they may turn enough profit in that 1 day to go from 'red ink' to black in their bookeeping.

That alone is the very reason I don't shop on this day. There are so many crazy people looking for bargains, they will run over you thinking you may get something they don't.

Sadly, if they watched true sales, they would realize that the best bargains are in the 2nd week of January, when merchants need to clear their stock for the new season. The stuff you get 'on sale' on Black Friday is quite often false markdowns. In other words, prices are first raised, then lowered to a price just above the pre-season price. You just think you're getting a bargain.

Not every merchant does this but, I've seen it done so often it makes my blood boil. Then people flock to these so called sales like sheep, just to get ripped off. either that they put the regular price on a sale ticket and up the "regular" price. once, a customer caught us because the old regular price tag was left up. lol

Here's another answer to what black friday is, just to confuse people!

In my city, it's a reference to a tornado that ripped through in 1987. It killed a bunch of people (including my brother's ex-girlfriend's mother...the girlfriend was tossed through the air at three-weeks-old), and we've never had such a serious tornado in the immediate area since.

~Jo

Well -I got up at 3:30AM to hit Walmart and a few other stores with a few friends. I hardly ever shop without the boys so that was nice (actually I do the vast majority of my shopping through catalogs or on line)

One thing, we got a flat on the interstate at 4AM and luckily the friend who was following us in her own truck had a flashlight so we could see to change the tire and get on our way! Also they gave me a hard time because I did not wear a jacket (the stores are always so hot) and I was freezing side of the road! Good real life example of needing to be prepared.

I did find batteries for really cheap at CVS - $2.66 for 18 AA; and 8 D or 8 C size Alkaline - I did stock up for my prep pile. Also I found things like Duck Head dress shirts for my teens with a $38 price ticket for $7.99 at Goodies. I think you can do OK if you shop the loss leader and KNOW you prices to start with. One other thing -there seemed to be way less people out than there usually are on that day.

I like 'Black Friday' because I can get up really early - go with out the boys, get a ton of shopping done and be home 10 AM or so. (BTW I have never got into a tug of war or raced anyone for any item -the ones who take it that seriously crack me up) Christmas is a big deal to me bacaue I was raised a Jehovah's Wittiness - so I never had Christmas as a kid -so I love the tree and the wrapping papper the shopping, the carrols, the movies (Frosty, Merrical on 34th, A wonderful Life*** Rodulph, ect...) - and all that stuff!

For the first time in probably 10-14 years I stayed home on Black Friday.. Shocking.. There was only one thing I wanted anyway.. DH and I went to Wally World this afternoon! And what I wanted that was on the blitz was still at the same price today! YIPEEE!!

well, i hope there is a sale when i am in town next...i NEED new bras, i have on ly one and its on its way out. its like its 7% off! lol

for those that dont know...i live in bc where its 14% taxes on everything except most foods. no tax on food, and kid clothes and school supplies are only 7% tax. for somereason the call kid stuff which is only half the tax, "non-taxable" where does that make any sense? lol

Black Friday is evil. I will never again go out on that day no matter how good the sales are. I haven't been in 8 years. I was actually slapped, and pushed to the floor over a Barbie doll. I just stay home and put up the tree.

I don't care how good a bargain is..I won't be caught in a large group of discount crazed folks. I like a bargain as well as the next person but I refuse to play the mob game. Besides, look how much money I saved by not spending anything on Friday!

Archived