MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Learn by experience

logcabinmama

I know what you mean. I was kicking myself in the butt

last weekend.

We went to town and we were going to have a quick lunch

out so I picked Dairy Queen. I was craving a chili dog.

Let me just tell you this up front. I don't eat red meat

for a reason. I didn't pick it by choice.

I ate and we did some shopping and by the time we were

almost home I was so sick. I was sick all that night.

The next morning, I was fine.

You'd think I would know better by now.

I know what you mean Snowmom...I had to pick my dad up from the airport today and never ate lunch...by the time we got to his house, it was 5pm and I was starving...

My mom had a jar of mixed nuts, and I picked up a handful and glanced to see if it had any brazilian nuts in it...I didn't think much of it and ate them while I drove home.

By the time I got home, I had such a severe allergic reaction to the brazil nuts (i'm obviously allergic to them) that it kinda scared me. I got sick, my mouth was swelling up and a bunch of other things...

As you say, you'd think I'd know by now and be more careful. It's a not so nice reminder that the suffering isn't worth the momentary lapse of better judgement.

You take care of yourself and I'm glad you're feeling a little better.

((((snowmom))))

Yeah Becca, I know it can be dangerous which is why it scared me...I know about the epi pens but don't have one...are they available for purchase without a prescription?

Oh, Snowie, I just read this- what a hard lesson to learn. I had my gall bladder out and didn't know this. The weekend before I had it out I threw up enough for the next 15 years.

Darlene: Yikes! My youngest son had some severe food allergies when he was a little kid. I can't think how many restaurants he threw up in because fish had in the deep fat fryer they did the french fries in. When he was about 2 he found a crust of someone's tuna sandwich and his lips swelled up until I thought they'd pop. We always kept antihistamine around in liquid form and had to ask a lot of questions and people thought we were picky neurotics. The worst kind are those who think you just think you have allergies and try to pretend the allergen isn't in what they are serving.

• 9 months later...

Medic Alert Bracelets: Just buy one that says check wallet card and have a card in your wallet that lists allergies and medications, that way you don't have to keep changing the bracelet, just the card. I keep mine in a pocket for a picture with a big red cross on it, so it's easy to find. If you have one that changes all the time, you can get one from a company that keeps you registered and will answer any questions that rescuer's might have about you and your meds...I prefer to carry mine with me. I keep the attachment from my scripts, a record of my medical history, surgeries & procedures, different doctors, implants, unusual reactions and allergies. Unusual reactions includes the fact that I will pass out if given muscle relaxants...it can take a couple of days, but it will happen.

Thanks for sharing this idea. I know I have to keep my pace maker card ID with me. I did have an ID bracelet but it broke and I never got one again.

I think it is a great idea to put all this information in your wallet. I guess I need to get busy and get it all typed up and add it to my info.

Archived