MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help! Crockpot chuck roast bloopers

I am exasperated and would greatly appreciate the advice of anyone who can help.

I had a crockpot for years that I slowly cooked my chuck roasts in. The meat came out tender and wonderful!

Then, about 3 years ago I purchased a new crockpot. The roasts cooked in this one have been rubbery and awful. I called the crockpot company and they told me they changed the standards for crockpot heat settings because the old slowcook method increased risk of bacterial growth. They told me to cut my cooking time in half so the meat would not overcook.

Well, it's still not working. I've ruined more roasts than I care to admit here. I assume it's the crockpot, but from what they told me all the new crockpots operate the same way.

Does anyone here have a newer crockpot (4 years old or so)? And if so, are you cooking roast in it and getting good results?

Do share your secrets to success.....please.

i have never had any problem with mine, but it is also theonly one i have ever owned, so i have no idea. when i make a roast, it usually only takes an hour or 2. i like my roasts pink in the middle, but if you dont cut it open right away, it keeps cooking. so, i take my roast out before its cooked, so that it keeps cooking on its own. after an houreverything that i put in with the roast (usually potatos andbaby carrots) is cooked and ready to eat, if not i leave those in, and take the meat out. let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving. anyways, this is for beef of course, i dont eat pork other than bacon.

everytime i have tried to slow cook something all day, you kow, put it on in the morning before work, and some home to a cooked meal...it ends up WAAAAAAYYYYY over cooked, even on low. mine only has 4 settings- off, low, high, and keep warm. sorry i cant help more!

Maybe the recipe needs to be changed a little to accomodate the higher heat settings....you may want to layer the bottom of the pan with onions and celery pieces, lay the roast on top of it then pour in 2 cups of water mixed with onion soup mix (any kind of flavored water would work) then place a bunch of potatos, carrots, etc. (your choice again) around the roast. This helps the roast balance the heat and keeps it moist for the whole time it cooks. Check after a few hours to keep the water level at least visible. Hope this helps.

Are you sure your second one is a crockpot and not a slow cooker. A crockpot heats from the sides and cooks very slowly. A slow cooker heats from the bottom and can burn or stick on the bottom. I only buy crockpots. I usually cook everything on low and if I have to leave it for eight hours, I make sure it still has ice in it when I start it and I'm still here. Some of mine are old and some are new.

Archived