MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oprah - Avian flu

cartoongirl

We recorded today's show and will watch it later this evening. Thanks again Erica for letting everyone know about this. Mother, thanks for the indepth thought. Regarding getting enough medicine to last a while: In some cases, depending on the medicine and its use, you can let your doctor know you would like a prescription for a higher dose than you may need.....just in case the lower dose is not effective and you feel the need to increase it. This gives you options because the reality is that, in some cases depending on the ailment, dosages do need adjusting from time to time.

Let's say you currently use 25 mg. of a medicine, but it's possible you might need more depending on symptoms. You ask for 50 mg. and then cut the pills in half. That stretches the medicine farther and as long as your doctor okays it, there is no harm done.

Personally, I think it's very responsible to think ahead on things like this. I attended a community forum where an emergency management director answered questions on what could possibly happen if a problem happened at a nuclear power plant. A sweet elderly lady raised her hand and asked him what she could do if she was low on medication. To my tremendous disappointment the director told her that they would provide medications for all who need them. That, of course, is hogwash because the government cannot possibly take care of everyone's specific needs....as we saw during Katrina.

People need to think for themselves and be responsible for handling their own needs, as much as possible. I know I'm talking to the choir here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I walked with.... I need to see what it takes to hook up my tank of oxygen (for welding.. may need 4 or 5 tanks!) to create an oxygen mask or bed (sheeted in plastic) in case of phenomena.

There will be no masks IF you wait until the last minute! so start buying now! don't wait. Most of the disposable masks are reusable. Depends on dirt and debris, if you sat on it or not

This is what I found:

Oscillococcinum

http://homeoinfo.com/06_materia_medica/oth...llococcinum.php

Study

The popular reputation of Oscillococcinum has now been vindicated by a large scale, double-blind, placebo controlled trial published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 487 patients were recruited by 149 general practitioners (mostly non-homoeopaths) in the Rhone-Alpes region of France during the influenza epidemic of January-February 1987.

Entry criteria were: rectal temperature of 38oC or above, and at least two of the following symptoms: headache, stiffness, lumbar or articular pain and shivers. The first manifestations had to have occurred less than 24 hours before entry. Patients with immune deficiency, local infection, or who had been immunized against influenza were excluded.

Diagnosis was purely clinical, although the A H1N1 influenza virus was subsequently identified as being responsible for the epidemic. Patients were randomly assigned to active Oscillococcinum (237 patients) or identical placebo (241 patients), 5 doses at 12 hour intervals. Recovery was defined as temperature less than 37.5oC, with complete resolution of the 5 cardinal symptoms.

Results

After 48 hours, 17% of the active treatment group had fully recovered, compared to 10% of the placebo group. This difference was statistically significant (p=0.03, X2 test). Further analysis showed that the effect of Oscillococcinum peaked at 36 hours, when 40% of recoveries were attributable to the treatment. It was most effective in younger patients - 68% of recoveries within 48 hours in the under-30’s were due to treatment; and when the illness was relatively mild - 52% of the recoveries from illnesses classified mild or moderate were due to treatment. Patients on active treatment used significantly less other treatment for pain and fever (50% v 41%, p=0.04), they also judged the active treatment more efficacious than placebo (61% v 49% p=0.02).

The Lancet commented favorably on the trial, remarking that the authors were restrained in their discussion, and describing the difference between placebo and active treatment as ‘respectable’. The Lancet’s report was ‘quadruple-blind’ mentioning only at the very end that the treatment was homoeopathic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel that is important to raise your immune level with proper diet, and those herbals that will work for you.

From what I have read the cytokene storm is started when a healthy and inexperienced immune system is challenged with something as powerful as this AF seems to be, that is why I believe that we should reserve some of our immune boosters as a backup to our usual response to cold and flu.

The following have been discussed here and there are posts about them in Natures prescriptions.

Sauerkraut….

Elder-Botanical: Sambucus nigra (LINN.) - Some feel that in a healthy person this could bring about the strong immune response that we may want to avoid, the Drs are divided on this issue.

Olive Leaf Tea

Echinacea

Oregano

Star Anise

Guaifenesin can help with congestion.

Thanks Lois. I hope to find some time to look into the actual action of the different products if I can find that info. I know that Oscillo is a very good product for the common flu and I do keep it on hand usually. I am almost convinced that it would be helpful for this flu also as it was advertised on this particular program but I'd like to find out for sure.

As you've said before Lois, the more we know, the more questions there are.

Don't give up on your medical herbs, just keep informed as to which is better to use. We don't know that yet but we will.

Lois, you said: "I feel that is important to raise your immune level with proper diet, and those herbals that will work for you. From what I have read the cytokene storm is started when a healthy and inexperienced immune system is challenged with something as powerful as this AF seems to be, that is why I believe that we should reserve some of our immune boosters as a backup to our usual response to cold and flu."

A couple of questions: First, are you a nurse or do you have training as one?

Secondly, what do you mean when you say "a healthy and inexperienced immune system"?

Are you meaning a person who has not had vaccinations in the past?

First as I have stated, I have no medical training.

In my opinion the inexperienced immune system, is one that has not had much opportunity to fight anything on it's own, the vaccinations make it possible to not get many of the childhood deseases that I believe were the training ground for our immune system. As I always say, this is my opinion, please use what you have researched and find applicable to you. The few connections I have been able to make, I happily attribute to my father, who taught medicine in the Army and attempted to teach me, when I was growing up, some things stuck well enough for me to make connections that help me know where to look for the research.

Is that what you were looking for?

I must say that I was impressed with the show (at least the half I saw...I forgot until it was half over). I thought it would be Oprah mocking all the *doomsayers*, and reassuring the public that everything will be ok. I guess she's not funded by the Canadian government.

I was a little shocked to hear the 4-5 week thing for prepping. Seriously, anyone who occasionally cooks at home will have nearly that much food already...it will probably be rather bland toward the end, but they would at least have stale crackers and pasta, I suppose. He mentioned water, I think (I didn't see that part, but a friend mentioned it).

I went to a girls bible-study last night, and my friend brought it up. I was hoping someone would. Of the 3 women there, 1 was concerned, 1 hadn't heard about it, and 1 said "God will take care of us". (She is a pastor's wife, so I understand). I tentatively mentioned a few things, like the fact that food transportation will be quickly shut down, and that the cycle of a pandemic will be quite a bit longer than what the Dr. said, and that God still expects us to do everything in our power to protect and provide for our families. I don't know if anyone got anything out of what I said.

Thanks for all of the discussion, I am soaking it in.

~Jo

The sharing of information is a good thing...we need to maintain responsibilities for the choices we make, but I know that I sure want to hear about things y'all have learned and then decide whether it might be applicable to me. Nobody claims to have accredidations and a legal background in the medical field, but many of us have extensive experience in what we've used to help ourselves.

Take what you like and leave the rest.

As far as our server, we have adequate room for additional traffic, and upgrading is always a possibility if the need should arise.

Also, there are places where you can stock up on medications...these are url's that I've seen other people access and I have used myself:

http://www.drugdelivery.ca/

http://meds4yourhealth.com/

My understanding is that the medicines are available without a prescription. We, and I do not support anyone self medicating without the direct and clear directions from your doctor, but this can be a potential tool for some, if they feel the need.

CeeGee, are you sure that's not what you say to your Chocolate????

*Come here, it won't hurt a bit*CHOMP!!!!

Archived