MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oprah - Avian flu

cartoongirl

This Monday coming, which I believe is the 23rd I'm going to be watching. Monday - "What should you be worried about" I believe covers terrorism and Tuesday she is covering Avian Flu. Dr. Osterholm will be one of her guest speakers. Looks really informative. Thought I would give you guys the heads up.

Please watch, Oprah's mouth drops open when Dr. Osterholm tells her "it's coming".

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oprah

If anyone can get people to start preparing it is Oprah. She will impact the public in a big way.

Evergreen, here in Canada I believe her show begins at 4:00pm please correct me if I am wrong anyone. I don't watch much t.v. during the day. Oprah has a website I will check out. Also, Evergreen, please note I edited above.

This is going to be a real eye opener for a lot of people! I'm excited.

And last week CBC's 'Fifth Estate' did a whole show entitled, "Black Dawn - The Next Pandemic", a docudrama about a hypothetical pandemic of avian influenza (H5N1), from initial outbreak through mass transmission and global spread. You can visit their website by going to http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/nextpandemic/index.html

And on "Microkillers Week", the National Geographic Channel

is running a program called "Superflu" which follows the story of one woman, "Patient Zero", infected with a super flu as she travels around the globe, unknowingly carrying the lethal virus inside her embattled lungs. Superflu looks into her body to learn how the virus fights back from the inside. Is her immune system strong enough to fight back against these invaders? Can it be stopped? In this frightening new world, how you react when your neighbour is infected may decide whether you live or die.

Correct me if I'm wrong, or perhaps they have had a programming change, but on her website it's showing her show being about terriorists today, and the bird flu tomorrow (Tuesday).

*shrug*

I watched it today also and was a bit disapointed that she didn't cover more personal readiness instead of basically covering what the nation as a whole should be doing to combat terrorism. That's important also though but I don't see the show causing anyone to run out to prepare. In fact, if I didn't miss it, they never even mentioned the Ready.Gov site, which is about bioterrorism I know but might have helped some. Maybe tomorrow will be different. I certainly have high expectations also. I hope she mentions the pandemicflu.gov site at least.

We recorded the program so I'll be watching it later, but a little earlier I checked Oprah's website to read about what was said. Did she actually give Bill and Hillary Clinton air time? And Ted Turner?

There was a whole lot more in this broadcast than just covering terrorism.....

Her website references our "world leaders" and states: "In September 2005, American and foreign leaders gathered in New York at the Clinton Global Initiative Conference to discuss the biggest issues facing our world."

Bill Clinton says, "Over the long run, you should worry about building a world that's coming together instead of coming apart—and that starts with America. We need to become citizens of the world in a positive way."

"Citizens of the world"?? Wait a minute. I'm a citizen of America. A sovereign America. If I become a citizen of "the world" then who is going to govern this "world"? The U.N. with Bill at the head?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=41038

And considering Hillary Clinton's personal jihad against the "religious right" in America (meaning Christians) she sure made some interesting statements here: "Right now the greatest threat to world peace is intolerance cloaked in religion," Senator Clinton says. "It's people who believe that their religious views are the only right ones, and therefore, any means that is available to them—including flying planes into towers or planting bombs in subways—that somehow they are permitted to do that because they're acting in the name of a religion. That gives them the justification to wreak havoc and violence."

Wow. I know someone living in Europe who says anti-Christian sentiment is growing because both Islam and Christianity are being viewed by secularist fundamentalists (liberals) as being similar.

So the question coming to my mind is this: Why did Oprah give these one-world-order adherents so much airtime?

Or did she just give them space on her website?

I'll view the program later, but from what I've already seen on her site - I bet all of us here agree that her program fell pitifully short of helping Americans truly prepare.

I do want to thank Erica though for an excellent headsup because the more exposure we all have to discussions on terrorism and Avian Flu, the better. I just don't know what the Clintons have to do with the safety of America.... unless Oprah wants to talk about the Clintons and their sleezy China connection.

Oprah has her good points, but she's not all there in some areas.....ya know?

I watched the show and was very disappointed -just left me with the feeling they (Oprah & guests) feel that the war in Iraq, religion, and President Bush are THE cause of ALL our problems.

Is CNN the ONLY news station with reporters that cover the Middle East?????

I will watch tomorrow, but I really feel I wasted an hour today.

I was disappointed in the terrorism show too. It started out pretty good and then got a little too political and didn't get into any type of preps. I was glad I watched it, but disappointed. Hopefully Tuesday's show will be a little better. I think I'll go order my nanomask NOW...

Lets see what the 2nd part of her show has to offer, hopefully will be a bit of an extension to yesterdays show.

Yep, I'm there with you all. It was okay (don't know why I said it was "good") okay is a better word to describe it. Her show today will hopefully (I have faith) be alot more informative and to the point.

We shall see.

BTW, your welcome!! Oh yes, I got my FIL to watch Oprah today. He was actually very open to watching! It's a start....

I will be watching Oprah at 11:00 (20 min from now).

I thought it was really good!

Oprah let Dr. Osterholm say his thing without interruption. You can tell that this will not be the last for Oprah....you could tell from her body language and how intent she was listening to Dr. Osterholm that this is a wake up call for everyone. Oprah kept comparing this to the Katrina event. Wake up call, the levies broke and we didn't expect that to happen. I don't think this will be the last of it.

It was very good, to the point. No nonsense. Alot of us already understand the situation but for those that don't have much of a clue this show will help wake up the "sheeple". As far as what kind of preps to have on hand those that watched Oprah and are serious they will do their homework to find out what more they can do.

Okay, we here at Mrs. S have some serious thinking to do. Here's some of what I got from this show.

1. The doctor said that the worst hit seems to be those between 20 and 40 years of age and pregnant women. Why? Because they have the HEALTHIEST immune system. Look at that word. The healthiest one. Not the sickly people, not the elderly but those who supposedly have the most ability to fight it off, seemingly the ones who should be able to withstand it. This strain of flu, unlike the common flu, stimulates the immune system and put's it into overdrive, affecting all the organs in the body and it's the overdriven immune system that kills.

One of the things that most herbalist or natural healers would think to do with the flu is to reccomend some sort of immune enhancing herbs like echinacea, certain mushrooms or even plain GARLIC!

Did anyone catch that one of the sponsors was Oscillococcinum by Boiron? I know that this is a homeopathic remedy that is very effective against the regular flu but I now question HOW. Does it work by just relieving symptoms or does it contain an immune enhancer?

Lois, and any of you others who are into herbal medicines, this might be a good time to start doing some deep rsearch on just what herbal medicine would be effective against THIS particular strain of flu. We need to rethink everything that we've learned about treating the flu and we need to take a deep look at the simples we use, like Elderberry. I'd sure be interested in all your ideas about this and what you feel we might need to change if anything!

2 Did you catch what he said about there not being enough masks if this thing did hit? Not only did he say there might not be enough but they may not be nearly as effective as we'd like them to be. They will help certainly. In fact, if those that HAVE the flu wore them they would probably be more effective. That might be something to think on. Those masks have to fit very tightly and securely to be effective. They are also intended to be disposable. Ninety of them would suffice for three months at one a day per person but you'd have to be super careful about where your hands had been. Wash Wash Wash Wash!!! And remember, someone can be infectious 24 hours BEFORE they get sick.

3. He mentioned people not being able to get their normal medicines. He said to be prepared for four or five weeks but then said that this thing could last 12 to 18 months with disruptions in medical supplies that long. He also mentioned changing the rules so people could get supplies of their meds for an extended time but that's got to come through the insurance and medicare and etc companies doesn't it? My Mom can't get her heart medicines filled unless she's down to one or two pills left. I've fought and fought over it with the pharmacist but we've still yet to get a way for her to be supplied ahead. My next step is to approach her doctor to give her a double her daily dosage prescription and trust her to take it only as HE directs. This is going to be a fight for anyone on daily medication even for life threatening things like asthma and diabetes possibly.

4. And sorry this is so long.....

I noticed that they didn't even mention the government web site, pandemicflu.gov. Why not? the protect Iowa Health.org got a dig in as an advertisement, why not the federal government?

5. This is a real wake up for most people and as you heard the pharmacist say, Oprah has a huge impact potential. People are going to be searching the internet for information, Mrs. Survival.com is going to be one of those sites, especially if we pass the word along to those who watched this program.

Administrators? Darlene? will Mrs S. be able to handle an increase in hits daily? I believe it could happen. I have a very simple way for us to help get the word out but will wait until I hear from those in charge before putting it forth.

Okay, until I really think about this some more and read more of the notes I took, I'd like to hear what some of the rest of your thoughts are on this program. I believe it was one giant step for preparation and I'd like to give Oprah a hug.

I'm hoping Oprah will do a follow up show regarding prepping etc. A one hour show can only cover so much. It's a good start.

Great coverage Mother!

I wonder what was talked about after the show. I think I'm going to go to Oprah's web site to see if I can get more info. The audience looked very concerned as did Oprah herself. I was slightly surprised how much she did not know about A/F!

Interested to see what effect her show will have on others?

Archived