MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

R ~76 Quarts...

Guest Guest

Of greenbeans on the island...

76 quarts of greenbeans...

I'm almost done, I still have 2 1/3 bushels left...

76 quarts of greenbeans on the island...

I hate corn and greenbeans right now.

*sigh*

lol

I hate corn and greenbeans right now.

*sigh*

lol

Hang in there, it'll all be over soon. (Til next time)

Wow-that's alot of green beans. (and corn). How often do you have to can each?

I did tomatoes, juice, and salsa last summer. I do enough so that I only have to do tomatoes every other year. I don't even want to think about putting a tomato in a jar this year. (But I love grabbing a bag of tostitos and a jar of salsa at midnight )

The year before I did corn and green beans. I've got the green beans down-60 qts. will usually last 2 yrs.. So I've got to do them again this next year, which is fine, I'm even kind of looking forward to it. It's the one thing I know I need to grow.

But I still have a ton of sweet corn. I guess that's fine, too. I wouldn't mind growing some this year, but I really don't want to can it yet. (I must have really overdone it, cuz I don't even want to think about cutting corn off the cob ) I do pickles (bread and butter, and dills, and usually one other 'new' kind to try) every year. For some reason I don't mind that, I even like doing them every year, although I end up giving most of them away. Huh, go figure.

Do you have a jiggler or a gauge canner? We always used the gauge ones, then my mom and I decided we needed yet ANOTHER canner, so I bought a jiggler type. Boy, when we start canning season that jiggler sounds sooo cool, but by the end of canning season we think the sound of it is going to be the one thing to drive us right over the edge of sanity.

Necie

Well this is the first time that I'm doing this kinda volume of greenbeans and corn at one time so I'm experimenting. I also did tons of tomatoes last year so have a good stash of those but plan on using them to make tomato based products and maybe towards the end of my season can a few more tomatoes. It's hard to know how much is enough or where to start because in the back of my mind is this bird flu issue and the disruptions that will cause, so if anything i'll probably do a little more than a little less. What's your recipe for salsa? I have yet to find one I like and I probably should just make my own recipe and go from there lol...

I have a weight gauge canner and yeah I know the jiggling sound you're talking about...at the end of a canning day, I'm sure glad to turn that off cause it's a constant reminder that I'm probably knee deep in some canning project lol. I've used both the dial gauge and the weighted gauge and prefer the latter, and the All American canner I use is the best I've ever seen so it's a good fit for me.

Today I hafta finish the other 2 bushels then it's a break from those 2 veggies...I'll hafta head over to the farms and see what else I can pick up.

Good for you Darlene,,,,76 quarts is super and more to go. That darn song keeps running through my brain though. 76 quarts of beens on the wall, 76 quarts of beans, one of them happened to fall (into a pot of stew) and etc..... hmmm something tells me I have to get a life if all I have to do is set around and listen to songs in my head.

Actually, I did make vegetable stock today but put it into ice cube trays to freeze so that I can pop it into zip locks in the freezer. I can just grab a few cubes whenever I need it that way. I also freeze some of my herbs that way in water. They stay fairly fresh and taste great in the middle of winter.

Quote:
What's your recipe for salsa? I have yet to find one I like and I probably should just make my own recipe and go from there lol...

That's exactly the way I do it. Just keep experimenting. I like chunky salsa, so I skin my tomatoes and hand 'squish' them. This last year I wanted THICK chunky salsa, so I strained them and canned the juice, then added bell pepper and onion to the tomatoes and heated the whole mess up, then add ALOT of cilantro. (I love the stuff, some don't). Then can it. 1/2 tsp. salt to pints, 1 tsp. salt to quarts. If you want heat, add hot peppers. Sometimes I add them right in the whole pot of tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion-but usually I add them into the bottom of the jars with the salt before ladling the salsa in. I like jalepenos, my dbf likes habeneros. I don't mind one habenero per jar, but 10 is mind blowing. This last year I just added raw peppers and onions to the tomatoes and heated. Usually I saute them first in olive oil and I'm going back to doing this from now on, as I like it better that way. Live and learn. Also this last year I was given 20 lbs. of Vidalia onions, so I chopped them up and put them in the freezer til salsa time and used them. Won't do that again, either. Prefer regular white or yellow onions. But then again, it was a learning experience.

About 6 months ago we found a restaurant with the BEST salsa. It's HOT, but it's a good hot. I can't get the exact recipe, but I know they use jalepenos and it has alot of black pepper in it. So I'm gonna try that the next time I have to can salsa. Lots of black pepper. But that won't be til 2007.

Necie

Darlene I have two salsa recipes that I canned last summer that our family really likes, one is not hot and the other is. I will give you both, see if you like them as much as we do

Reg Salsa

6 Qt. Chopped tomatoes slightly drain

5-6 medium onions chopped

6-12 jalapeno pepper chopped (depends on how hot you want it}

1 head garlic finely chopped or use minced garlic

12oz. tomato paste this is what thickens it

10 medium bell peppers chopped

1-1/2 tablespoons canning salt

1 tablespoon black pepper

1-1/2 cupa White vinegar

2 pkg. Mrs Wages salsa seasoing or 2pkg ball salsa Mix seasoning.

Mix and bring to a boil then simmer on low, simmer 1 to 2 hours Stiring once in a while so it don't burn

Fill canning jars and water bath them for 15 min. Yeild 14 or more pints.

Darlene I used the Mrs Wages reg mix and found that to be hot enough I know they have a hotter mix of salsa just depends on how you all like it . I don't care for anything hot.

Now is the the one that I made that is not hot at all.

Mild Salsa

6 qt. chopped tomatoes

2 large onions

2 large green peppers

1-1/2 cups white vinegar

1 tbsp and 1 teasp canning salt

2 tsp dry mustard

2 tbsp sugar

2 tsp. chilli powder

1 tsp. garlic powder

1/8 tsp. red pepper

Wash core and peel tomatoes and quarter, chop everything else and put in pan bring to a boil and reduce heat simmer for 45 min. to hour untill sligtly thickend put in jar and process as you would for tomatoes.

My Sister and I made 12 pt of the not heat salsa and a friend of ours came over and tasted it and like it so much he wanted us to make him 12 so we did,it did our hearts good to know that someone else likes our canning too if you know what I mean. we also did 44 pt of the reg salsa.

We might have to make more this summer because its going fast around here lol.

Good luck and let me know what you think.

**looks from Darlene to the word "Island" and back again, shrugs and gives her a big hug**

The more things change the more they stay the same! Yep, that jiggler and hissssssssssss can make you truly love the sounds of silence at the end of the day. Are you making any string bean pickles? I've got a good recipe if you're interested.

Basil Beans

4 lbs beans, rinsed and strung

5 C white vinegar

5 C water

1 TBL sugar

1/4 C pickling Salt

For each jar: 4 peppercorns, 2 cloves garlic peeled, 4-6 basil leaves

Trim ends. Bring to a boil vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Put the stuff in bottom of each sterile jar. Pack full of beans (1/2 inch headspace). Fill with the brine. Process 15 minutes for pints, 20 for quarts.

*If you don't have access to fresh basil, infuse a tea of 4 TBL dry to 1 C hot water and substitute it into the above water.

Best after at least 4 weeks resting.

Archived