Fox News Special - The Bird Flu: Fact and Fiction

Guest Guest

Fox News Special Report on Bird Flu

The Bird Flu: Fact and Fiction

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Sun., Feb. 19 at 10 p.m. ET

Repeats Monday at 1 a.m. ET

Hosted by Newt Gingrich

Americans have heard about the deadly bird flu virus and they've watched it start to move from Southeast Asia halfway across the world. Scores of people have already died and scientists fear is that the virus will mutate until it can pass rapidly from human to human.

What will happen if it reaches the United States — and starts spreading among Americans?

Tune in as FOX News charts the worst case scenario: a hypothetical pandemic.

We'll tell you the harrowing details of how a pandemic would unfold in the United States and why many government officials say we're simply unprepared if that were to happen.

Plus, we'll share another cautionary tale: Fears of a pandemic that would never happen and a well-meaning government response that ended up killing hundreds of healthy Americans.

It's a FOX News Special that you can't afford to miss.

I thought that this was a good informative show...although I had already read most of these things through articles you all have posted on this site. I was disappointed that they did not give more specifics on how individuals and families could prepare, because I don't think most really know what to do!

Did any of you watch it?

first human to human bird flu found in Thailand 2005... who denounces it!

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6121998

the show did talk about not enough supplies, medicines, quarantining areas, no shipping in or out... the secondary pandemic.. see Kartina and how people behaved!

they didn't have to spell it out... GO BUY FOOD! GET PREPARED!! they said it in more words then this.

Westbrook, I think they did do good at stating what can happen...but I know from experience with people I have talked to, they have no clue how to prepare. I agree that most will think about getting food, but many won't think that the water supply may have a problem if the electricity goes out due to workers being sick, etc. Many won't think about other things beyond food to be have on hand, like TP, masks, etc. on their own. I know....I have talked to several people that never thought that those things could be a possibility. I could be underestimating people though, and hopefully those who did watch it are aware and concerned enough. I called all my local family members and asked them to watch it as I have been talking to some of them and encouraging them to get prepared, but most don't want to think about it. It's kind of sad...because we all know which doorstep they will be coming to if things happen as the scenario in this program.

One of the things I don't think many are preparing for is ... what if *I* am the one that gets the flu! I am the one that has done all this research... what happens to my family *IF* I am too sick to keep the home fires burning, so to speak.

And what if *I* or another family member gets the flu and dies?

I am working on my own family manual.. personalizing it for my husband and daughter... taking it down to the lowest level of understanding.. my daughter.. surely my husband can then follow it?

you are both right about the allergic reactions to penn. I have a child allergic to keflex besided penn.

But I will be picking up other antibiotics to cover a wide variety of infections.

Westbrook, have you considered a colloidal silver generator instead?

There are virtually no known allergies, it works amazingly quickly, and you make it fresh as you need it.

It's worthy of consideration, at least, in my opinion.

Westbrook - I too have had an allergic reaction to penicillin and to Keflex. The doctors I've had as an adult seem to think I'm crazy for suggesting an allergy to Keflex but I'll never take it again. It happened when I was about 10 and had pneumonia. I was given Keflex for some reason - I was really out of it. I kept throwing up and my mom took me to the ER one morning and they just sent me home and told my mom to keep giving me this other med I was on that was supposed to keep me from throwing up. Didn't work so that same evening my dad and mom took me to the ER after Dad got home (still covered in coal dirt!) and by that time I was bringing up nothing but bile. The doc that night said that if they hadn't brought me in that evening I'd have been dead the next day - I was almost completely out of body fluids.

Boy -that was probably more info that anyone needed, huh? I view Keflex as an evil drug

dh and I were at my sister's house during this special and I got the willies so bad when they said about eggs dying when injicted with the flu virus I got so cold I needed an electric blanket and a second blanket to warm up. Nothing has ever done that to me before. More tp please.

dh and I were at my sister's house during this special and I got the willies so bad when they said about eggs dying when injected with the flu virus I got so cold I needed an electric blanket and a second blanket to warm up. Nothing has ever done that to me before. More tp please.

What is Keflex prescribed for exactly?

It sounds like something to avoid for sure. Sorry to hear about some of the bad experiences, but it helps when you share with us and I do appreciate it.

I'm taking allergy shots and I've been given two epipens to use in case of anaphalaxis. If I get short of breath or have other unusual symptoms I'm supposed to press the pen firmly into my upper leg for a few seconds, then release and get to ER right away.

West and Nana, those are good thoughts about putting together a notebook of instructions for other family members.

I sure appreciate Darlene's posting about the program, but unfortunately I had to miss it. It sounds like it was helpful in some good ways. If anyone runs across a video of it online or hears of a re-run, please post.

Westbrook, good point! I told my dad yesterday that if it does break that I know we will be affected somehow, with someone we know. I keep praying that it is not us, but it is true, it could be. I feel weak in the area of preparing for someone getting sick in my home. I need to ramp up that and also maybe do a manuel type thing for my dad and hubby. Just in case! Thanks for the idea!

By the way....my dad is allergic to Penicillan too! My dh is not allowed to take anything except antibiotics and tylenol...no other meds and we have to be careful with herbs too! Yikes!

I don't know if this is the correct place for this, but I wonder about electrical devices such as the Zapper, or the Godzilla for treating against bird flu. These are so cheap to make, and only need a 6 or 9v battery to run. Place the electrodes on your wrist and your whole blood stream is treated in some 20 min.

Thoughts?

Archived