MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

TODAY'S CANNING - 3/13

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

D, where are you? Aren't you canning anything? Are you buried in a mound of strawberries, trying to can your way out?

Just kidding... you're probably either shopping or canning like a crazy woman, or passed out from exhaustion, after all the shopping and canning like a crazy woman!

I'm going to have to take a break tonight... we canned 28 pints of hamburger yesterday, and I still have 15 lbs left to do. I'm beat...

Got a few odds and ends done but, I really wore myself out- my shoulder hurt so much over the weekend, I thought I either dislocated it or re-damaged my rotator cup. That would be just peachy! I did rub some capsaicin on it and it's finally eased up a bit but that wasn't much fun. I have got to learn to pace myself a little better.

I've put together a list for shopping this week; I want to get a dozen or so corned beef briskets, and get most of them canned. The rest will go in the freezer.

I'm down to 3 dozen quart jars so, I've got to re-stock before I do too much more canning. Most places around here haven't even put their canning supplies out yet. I'm scrounging to find supplies.

Well, back to my lists... bulk stuff for the next couple of weeks, flour, oats, corn meal, sugar, beans, and as much chicken as I can find on sale.

Nana

Nana~ Sounds like you have been a busy lady! Could you tell me how you can your ground beef? I just bought some with the intention of canning. I've canned meats before (I've beeen doing lots of chicken lately) but I've never done ground beef. I was thinking I would brown, drain, rinse in hot water to help remove as much fat as possible then cover in boiling water and process?! Does that sound about right?

Guest Guest

Nana...I took the weekend off...gotta take a break now and then so that I can gear up and go into overdrive...I thought about you last week though when I went to the store...they had 7 bone roasts on sale, so I bought up all they had and then went to the butcher to ask if they had anymore...I had about 9 in my grocery cart and he made a snide comment about how I already had 17...I said listen, first of all I have 9, 2nd of all answer my question. He didn't have anymore in the back at the time so I'm going back today to scarf up what they have left. I know they think I'm nuts, butttttttttttttttttttt...ask me if I care lol...

My son is in the hospital right now so I'm kinda swamped with that at the moment, but I did get 16 pts of strawberry jam made, BUT my gas tank ran out of gas *sigh*...I called the company (they were supposed to fill it up 2 weeks ago, and of course I fell through the cracks...). I talked to someone there and came to the conclusion that I need a larger tank with the volume of cooking I do, so they're going to put a larger tank in hopefully this friday...in the meantime, they were supposed to fill this one up last night and never did so right now I'm waiting till they open and then I'm gonna make a phone call they will regret receiving. Like my friends always say, Darlene's an absolute sweet heart but don't ever piss her off...well, I'm stuffing big time at the moment, let's just put it that way...

Sas, how you described canning your hamburger is exactly how I can mine, except I also put some salt into it. Some people add beef broth, some people add a tomato based sauce, and some people just add boiling water, which is what I do. The reason I'm buying up all those roasts is because I'm going to do what Nana did...grind the meat up into hamburger meat and can it...I'll take the bones and make beef broth out of it and can that too...

My mother is bringing over the fixings needed to can some chicken soup on Thursday...I just feel this pressure to can some soups lately so that's gonna be my focus...ONCE I get through these strawberries (yes I still have some, and I'm not saying how much...rofl).

Guest Guest

Sas, I can my hamburger just the way Darlene does, and the way you described except, I don't use salt. I have high blood pressure and though it's totally under control, I don't use a lot of salt in food prep, I add it only in the final dish.

I also use boiling water as my liquid so I have a neutral base with the ground beef. I personally think that the broth sometimes makes it too intense, depending on the final dish.

D, that's funny about the butcher... when I went to the first store to get my roasts, it seemed like the butcher didn't want me to buy too many, and she made sure I knew there was a limit of three. Yeah, like that's gonna stop me! You'd think by now they would know who they're dealing with when either of us walks in the store!

I'm looking at the ads this morning and they have whole pork loin, pork country ribs- bone in- , beef bottom round roasts and chicken hindquarters on sale this week! Yeah, my arm's gonna be hurtin' by the end of the week again...

I may just have to order canning jars directly from Ball/Kerr. The stores around here are a little bit too slow for me right now.

Oh! Anyone that's having trouble getting canning supplies, you can either order direct, or you can order from the Ace Hardware website and have them deliver to your local store with no shipping charge. The prices are pretty good but I'm thinking they only order case lots. I'll have to check into it again.

Guess I'd better go can that ground beef... I can't seem to get it to can itself!

Guest Guest

Darlene, I'm so sorry to hear about your son... I know you're in super Mom mode right now and rightly so but, you're so on top of all of this, I'm sure it's going to work out fine. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Love ya, Chica!

Well Sunday I canned for the 2nd time, it was easier and I enjoyed it more... as I was familiar with what to do next. etc. I put up 4 quarts of roast I browned in oil, then packed with beef broth.... It was only about 4 lbs or so of roast, then raw packed the chicken to finish filling up my canner...... I look forward to my next chance to can again... The raw packed chicken was so easy, but it is not so pretty in the jars !!

Guest Guest

lol @ moonstar...no it not exactly pretty but it is oooooooooooooooooo so good when you pop the lid on that jar and use the chicken in one of your home cooked meals!

Well, it's official.

The butchers at my store think I'm certifiably insane.

*sigh* (wonder what took them so long to figure that out)...

I went to the store this morning and bought all the roasts they had then went over to the window and asked the butcher if he had any more. He had no more in the back so I asked him when he would get more in. He said he had a shipment coming in at 3pm today...so I asked him how long it would take him to get it out in the case, and he said 10 minutes, so I told him I'd be back at 3:30 lol...

At 3:30, I went there and there was no roasts out in the case . I went over to another butcher and asked if they had any in the back and she said they had just got a shipment in. I said, wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll I need some roasts! Another one of the butcher started to joke with me and said, "oh, how many do ya want? 50lbs?"

I said welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll if ya got 50lbs back there, I'll take it!

They about had a heart attack! rofl

They went and got the head butcher and started trimming the meat up for me...he asked me if I was taking this back to the Bahamas . I said Bahamas? lol He said alot of people come over from the islands and stock up on meat to take back to the Bahamas to put in their freezers. I told him no, that I just lived down the street...lol

Finally when he was all done, he came back over to me and said, I cut all I had for you...I told him how much I appreciated that. He said his boss was going to want to know where all the roasts went. I told him just to tell him that "the crazy lady" bought them all, and that I was sure he'd know who he was talking about...for some reason, his boss gets irritated when I wanna clean them out of a particular meat...(like i care) lol...a sale is a sale is a sale...

Anyway, I only got 35lbs of roasts trimmed today *pout*...I put the bones in the freezer to make into beef broth later cause I just don't have the time right now, and ground the meat up and vacuum sealed it and put that in the freezer...tomorrow is gonna be a swamped day but I'm determined to trim the rest of the meat and grind that up too...I plan on canning that, which I should be able to get done on Thursday...I'll let you know how much that ends up being...all I know is that I have tons in my refrig right now, I have NONONONONONO room left in any of my 3 freezers and I hafta be gone till 2pm tomorrow and then leave again from 4:30-7 so tomorrow's really gonna be a shot day...*sigh*

Oh well, I'll just do what I do best...go into overdrive...lol

Wow Darlene that's alot of beef!!!

I canned my ground beef up today and had 24 pints and 1 1/2 pint. It looks really good and I'll try out a jar maybe later in the week. I added 1/4 tsp. of salt, not wanting to get it too salty.

I am waiting for the family dollar stores to get there lids in and then I am going to clean out my freezer! I don't even know what's in there.. It's frosted over.. I am gonna clean it all out and then unplug that sucker! I have decided cannings the way to go..

I know how ya feel Darlene!! I live in a small town though where everybody knows everybody, and people see me buying several of whatever I am getting,,,,, people in this town do not stock up,,,, most of them get just a few things several times a week..... When I heft my overflowing cart to the checkout, and leave with 2 carts I always get funny looks, and comments, but I don't care!!!!!!!! Recently I purchased only 3 boston butts on sale, and I got strange looks for that!!!!! I only have the one deep freezer, and the reg. fridge freezer, and have no backup power source..... so I really see the need to step up the meat canning!!!

Archived