MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Mary Kay products?

cartoongirl

*tssking at erica*

So along with the juicing book and the whole meal book I need to include a copy of Drop Dead Gorgeous, Protecting Yourself from the Hidden Dangers of Cosmetics by Kim Erickson???????? Something dragged me outta my sick bed to log on - musta been this here post!

Great read but a big NO to MK products.

Here is my take on this. Just IMHO though.

Have you ever noticed how more and more pharmacuetical medications are being introduced as skin patches? That's because the skin is a very effective means of absorbtion directly into the blood stream as apposed to orally where the stomach enzymes might neutralize or destroy some or all of the chemical constituents.

The same thing happens with cosmetics applied to the skin. The chemical constituents can be absorbed directly into the blood stream. Companies spend thousands of dollars testing their products, usually on animals, to determine just how MUCH is absorbed. There is a predetermined amount of most chemicals ALLOWED to be absorbed. Allowed by who's standard I ask?

I rarely use something on my skin that I would not eat, though the exception might be something that I WANTED to be absorbed into my body for healing sake.

I know nothing about Mary Kay Cosmetics, not using them, but a better question might be, what is in the cosmetics you use that you would WANT to be absorbed into your body? Even if a cosmetic says on it that they do not use animal testing, someone had to have done so at one point to give them the amount of chemical that is "allowed" in their products safely.

Rather than spend lots of money on "name brand" cosmetics, shampoos, lotions and etc. I normally seek out natural alternatives, either home made or from a reputable company that gaurantees their products are from natural, safe sources, preferrably organic. They aren't any more expensive. Even if they were, I feel my health and well being, in this day and age of cancers running rampant, are worth it.

Quote:
*tssking at erica*

So along with the juicing book and the whole meal book I need to include a copy of Drop Dead Gorgeous, Protecting Yourself from the Hidden Dangers of Cosmetics by Kim Erickson???????? Something dragged me outta my sick bed to log on - musta been this here post!

Great read but a big NO to MK products.

LOL, caught me, sneaking back to my old habits! Hope your feeling better mamacat! Guess I will add that book to the list.

Good points, thanks everyone.

I had a Mary Kay representative use some makeup on me years ago and the colors were very pretty but I've got sensitivities around my eyes so later in the day I realized I couldn't use those products (thankfully I didn't buy any).

I use Bare Essentials and like the powder/makeup whatzit. A little jar of the powder lasts a long time and it covers nicely. My skin is good but I have uneven color now as I'm older.

Archived