MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Anyone going to watch Dateline tonight?

worthy

Dh and I watched it tonight. Didn't give a lot more information that what we already have on here but I'm sure there were a lot of people who were seeing it for the first time. One thing that I caught, is they made mention a couple of times about "a couple of years". Not sure if that is what they actually meant or if they were hedging the scare this would cause. They said to prepare for TWO WEEKS, yet Sec. Leavette says HE is preparing to take his kids out of school for a "time" and he wants them to be in a home with food and water. One point even said the first wave SHOULD be passed within five weeks but.....that more would come. They also talked about the months and months that this could continue to affect the US.

Once again, it is yes it is, no it isn't????? You need to have enough for two weeks but it's going to last five at least?????? Do any of you expect to hear anything more specific than that? I don't. I'll just make up my own mind on this one I believe.

Regardless of what each of us decides about the BF, we are in for some rough times ahead. Weather we prepare for a pandemic, economic hardship, scarcities of the essential items needed to just get through a winter, the preparations will be pretty much the same. We are on a fixed income so, we will put in our garden in a month, we will put some away for winter we will get our heat source ready, just as we always do.

I totally agree with you Lois. We are all in for some tough times.

We, too, are on a fixed income and will do just as we've always done in the past only this year our garden will be a bit bigger to help cover any extra's we might have living with us and hopefully the orchard will produce. Last year with the drought we had nothing and fruit from the year before is almost depleted. Being stocked up all the time is a blessing and a way of life for us.

Hi,

Did you notice that none of the health care professionals in their simulation were shown to be wearing goggles? They only wore the face masks. Also, the receptionist wasn't even wearing a face mask!

It seemed strange to me.

Missie

I noticed that Missie. Talking about confusing people!

Sec. Leavitt preparing, for his family of 7 (wife, himself and 5kds. I was very surprised that he did not elaborate more on that issue and encourage others to do so. I felt he tip toed around that.

As usual nothing we don't already know but for people that don't have a clue, it is a start. I certainly would not be running out the door to prepare after watching this.

When my sister was here from San Francisco last year I brought up the subject of prepping. She had nothing extra on hand. No more than just the little she gets at the grocery store every week or two.

I said to her, "Heavens to Betsy woman, the way this world is today and living in earthquake country like you do, you should have at least a months worth of food on hand." She looked at me like I'd grown horns. So when I read your post about Dateline being on Deanne I turned it on.

It was the perfect time to bring the subject up again since she's here for a visit. I asked the same question about prepping and her reply was exactly this...."I took your advice and prepped for a month, well, maybe just 2 weeks BUT I have 20 cans of soup and 3 gallons of water." THIS is for she and her husband and grown daughter (if she were to return home).

So, we watched Dateline! We discussed it the first few mins. and then she became very quiet. I thought, ok, just keep your mouth shut and let them show her what the possibilities are.

When it was over I said to her, "So, that's a frightening scenario isn't it? What do you think now?"

Her words exactly??? "Oh dear, I fell asleep, it was so boring."

My words to you??? I'm so glad I'm in North Dakota and she's in San Francisco. If the I won't have to either take care of her or watch her starve to death. It's rather tough saying those words but good grief this sister is almost 60 years old and like me, she was taught to think. Where did her powers of thinking go???

Winky, if I may. This surprised me.

"Oh dear, I fell asleep, it was so boring".

I was NOT expecting that. I was expecting a positive outcome! LOL. (Not funny, really).

Unbelievable. Sorry to hear that. At least you have tried.

Why are people so stubborn! Wake up and look around at what is happening all over the world.

There is nothing wrong with prepping a little for gosh sakes.

I THINK it was Sec. Leavitt that said if you talk about preparing before the pandemic you are considered to be an alarmist....if you talk about it after the pandemic has begun you will be told you didn't do enough to help prepare. Don't quote me on this, but it went something like that. I love it.

Archived