Ingredients;

corn cut fresh from the cob

diced potatoes

minced fresh onion

minced fresh celery

garlic powder

sea salt

boiling water

I can't give you any specific amounts because we had so much corn. I peeled and diced 10 lbs of potatoes and 5 small onions, and minced 3 stalks of celery.

Last night we canned 14 quarts and today we will can at least 6 more. I raw packed it. Here's how I put it together;

I filled the bottom of a wide mouth quart jar 1/3 full of corn, added a layer of diced potatoes for the next 1/3 of the jar, put in 1 tablespoon of minced onion, 1 teaspoon of minced celery, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder and a pinch of sea salt. Fill the rest of the jar with corn, add boiling water to the rimline - 1/2 inch headspace - and released the air bubbles, then sealed and canned for 85 minutes.

When I open a jar for a meal, I'll add;

1 cup of milk

2 tablespoons of butter

1 tablespoon of cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup of milk

salt & pepper to taste.

If we want it a little different, I'll also add 1 pint of home canned chicken, and increase the cornstarch by 1/2 tablespoon. Heat until bubbly and broth has thickened.

Guest Guest

Oh my but that sounds good Nana. I can just picture us eating it on a cold snowy day. I've got it printed out to can in July when the corn and potatoes are ready.

Hey Nana, That's a great recipe, it's exactly like mine. I canned about forty quarts last year and we love it. I prepare it just like you do also. The only difference is that I used frozen corn because I got a super buy on it about the time my potatoes were ready. That was the first time I'd used frozen stuff to can with and it worked really well. Can't taste the difference even.

Archived