MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Why I am up at 3 am

Somehow today, someone left the freezer door open a crack...... and everything got defrosted! I have been cooking meat since 7pm, making soups to freeze, and cutting up cooked chicken for future meals, browning hamburger. My feet are throbbing and I feel like I am going to keel over! Now I remember why I don't do the once a month cooking anymore LOL. It sure will be convenient though when I pull out the pre-prepped meat for dinner.

If I'd had some warning I would have canned it all, but I need to get my gauge checked at the county extention office, and I didn't have my kitchen in a state where canning would be practical- read it's a MESS, so without spending hours getting ready I decided this was my best option this time. This is the second time in a year this has happened. I am going to lock that door religiously from now on.

I suspect a 4 yr old may have snuck a popsicle......

Guest Guest

Been there/done that and it is a PITA!

Sorry you had all that defrost but like you said, at least you can cook it up and freeze it.

((((BeccaAnne))) Been there, done that. My kitchen is in no state to can things right this minute now either and I'm waiting for parts for all THREE of my pressure canners. I would be in a bind if my freezers go out and I have two of them. Thankfully, one has an alarm on it.

Hang in there, like you say, the already cooked food will come in handy later.

Been there twice when my darling children lived at home. Once when dh unplugged the freezer to plug in a power tool and forgot to plug the freezer back in. Took about 500 lbs of meat to the dump. Hang in there. Be grateful you could salvage everything.

Archived