MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

josie's honeyed rhuberry marmajam

Pixie

i found this recipe in a mini magazine that came in the berNARdin jars i bought today...and it sounds soooo goood! i cant wait to make it!

3c (759ml) crushed strawberries

2c. (500 ml) very finely chopped rhubarb

2tbsp (30 ml) slivered orange zest

1c. (250 ml) unsweetened cranberry juice (or apple)

1pkg (49g) bernardin no sugar needed fruit pectin (or US equivlant)

1 1/4 liquid honey (or 1 1/2 c. sugar)

in large deep stainless steel sauce pan combine straberries, rhubarb, and orange zest and juice. whisk in pectinuntill disolvedstirring constantly, bring mixture to a boil ove high heat. add honey and return mioxtuere to a full boil. biol hard for 3 minutes, stirring constatly. remove from heat, stirring constatly, and ladle into jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace.

at altitudes of up to 1000 ft, process 10 minnutes.

makes about 4 250 ml jars

you can substitute 1 1/2 c. splenda for the honey.

Hi Pixie - this jam looks so good - did you go ahead and make some? How did it turn out? How many half pints did it make for you. Maybe I can make this next year during Rhubarb season - need to get a plant of my own also.

i havent had the chance to make it yet. i have spent the last few days all meals and moments at myinlaws. we have been out so much lately i have been carrying a bag of yarn to crochet with me everywhere. lol i have got about 1/4 of a granny square afghan made. heh heh i am running out of cream coloured yarn.

i think i will have to make this with sugar, i dont have enough honey. besides, honey costs a lot more. i wonder if there is a way we can adjust the recipe for stevia instead of any honey or sugar products?

Yup, you can use stevia! I made a batch of raspberry jam with stevia a couple of weeks ago. Just used the "don't need to add sugar" pectin and replaced each cup of sugar with 1 teaspoon of stevia. There were directions in the box of pectin on how to add splenda, so I just kind of followed those. I tasted it before I put it in the jars (to make sure it was sweet enough)...turned out pretty good.

cool.

there is a guy at work that comes in everyday for a coffee and to read the paper. he uses stevia in his coffee. flavoured usually.

CLICKY!!

Hey Pixie! Speaking of honey...

Before you come here in October, tell Mom to get you some free unpasturised honey from Grandpa. He gets it in 6 lb pails. My pail still has 1/4 left and I started it in January.

~Jo

mom said that she was going to send me a pil of honey, but i have yet to see any of it. all she ended up sending me was a christmas tree, and some odd kid size hangers.

Well, mom is odd sometimes.

I'm sure she's forgotton. I asked her for another pail for me, and I know she is almost out of honey herself.

But you should see her apartment...you'd forget things too!

~Jo

mom sure in unique.

so are you! lol

• 2 weeks later...

here is a picture of some of the jars. we ate 2 and gave one away already. lol

108732-DCP_2620.JPG

Archived