MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Oxtail Soup

Does anyone have a recipe for oxtail soup that they would like to share? DH said his mom used to make the best, but no one knows how she made it. My family never ate it.

Nana... sounds like you and I have some similar cooking ideas! I collect cookbooks, from the old to new, offbeat to tradional, but rarely follow any exactly. (For good reason, the last time I followed a recipe exactly, used measuring spoons and everything - unlike my "if it feels/looks/smells right, go with it" style - resulted in the first thing in years that even my neighbors dog wouldn't touch. I still shudder over that one!)

It sounds like you make oxtail soup rather like my mom and my gram, or rather - you start it off the same way. Our variation uses barley in the place of the taters, and lots more garlic. (About a bulb worth - vampires fear my family.) It makes a lovely and thick stewp that warms you to your toes. But.... if everyone promises to not tell my Gram.... I think I'm gonna give the potato version a shot myself this week!

Thanks Nana. DH says it sounds close other than it being more of a stew. His mom's had clear broth. But I think I'll try your recipe and adjust it a bit. I just had no idea where to start. Thanks again.

In our house at least... a soup is something that can be only eaten with a spoon (or a piece of good dipping bread). It might have a ton of stuff in it, but it will slosh right over the edge if you bump it.

A stew is heartier. Thicker. You could go so far as to ladel it onto a deep plate and eat it with a knife and fork (with the good sopping up bread to clean up the edges, of course.)

A stewp? Halfway between the two.... posibbly the cause of loosing too many pieces of that good dipping/sopping bread in the bowl to over eagerness!

Archived