MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

canning jar labels

We are seeing lots of photos of canning jars on shelves and in boxes. Some have labels some don't? Well we put ours on the lids and not on the jar sides? Why?

Well for us it is easier as we don't reuse the lids and it was a pain washing off the stickers from the jars each year. We also put on the date we canned (like 9/25/06) not just 2006? That way a year from now not come January we know when it is a year old? Don't know about you but for us it works.

I create my labels on the computer, print and put them on top. I'm still scraping label remnants off jars from '98-99'. I print in batches so I use the season and year; Spring '06. Summer '06, etc. It works for me...

Most of the time, I use the computer to make my labels too. I sometimes don't put the date on it, if I am entering it in the fair. I put them on the jars, as it is easier to see when it is on the shelf. When I am ready to get the label off, I et the jar lay in water for a while and get as much off as I can, then take a scratcher and it comes off. Sometimes it takes a little more work than others, but I find it easier for me with the label on the jars.

Archived