MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

earache,etc.

dogmom4

I've been feeling kind of cruddy for the past week with some sinus stuff, but last night it blossomed into a major earache, the right side of my face aches and i can feel a swollen gland on my neck. I don't want to drive into the city to the emergency room for this. Any suggestions? I have been taking garlic oil since last night and just putting warm compresses on my ear.

Stacy

Ibuprofen or Naproxen taken steadily all day (follow dosing). Plus Pseudofed & benadryl. Hot chicken soup, hot tea and any other comfort foods you want. You're trying to reduce the inflammation and drain/dry up the excess fluid. Compresses are fine if you get relief from them.

If it doesn't get better, go to the doc. I had this happen once-worst pain I think I ever had. Had a cold and woke up in the middle of the night and had this slight pain right below my ear. Didn't matter what I did, it just kept getting worse and worse until, like you said the whole side of my face ached, but mostly around and below my ear. After a couple of days I couldn't stand it-was about in tears and had to be driven to the emergency room. Doc checked me all out-looked in my ear-said it didn't look bad. Huh? Said open your mouth. ABSECCED MOLAR!! Way in the back on the bottom. Gave me some painkillers and antibiotics and told me to make an appt. with my dentist.

Keep a close eye on it. That's how shingles started with me. I had a swollen lymph node in my neck, pain in my face (left side only), headache, fever, general cruddy feeling. Within twenty four hours I was feeling really bad, my face was swelling and I started getting the blisters. I still have nerve damage in that side of my face and scalp.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm feeling much better now.I took a steady dose of pseudohephedrine (sp?), used compresses, garlic oil and stayed in the bed for over 24 hours. I think my body really needed rest. I have been pushing myself way too hard lately and my body decided it needed a break.

Stacy

• 2 weeks later...

probably too late here but i have a lot of ear problems always have. i mixed up a tincture for my ears, has clove of garlic, mullien tincture,astragalus and valerian tincture. i sometimes leave off either the astragalus or the valerian, depending on what i have , all steeped in vodka, i put drops in my ears for a few days when i feel an infection coming on. works wonders for me.

Those Similisan eardrops really do work. You can get them at almost any drugstore or Wal-mart. I heat them in warm water and after I put them in I put a cotton ball in my ear. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Archived