MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pita

i am g oing to try making pitas today. i am not sure whwat we will have with them, but i am sure i can thinkn of something. perhaps potato latka patties? i donty know how to make those either, but i DO have the internet, and i am sure i can work out a recipe. lol my last attempt at latkas was pretty scary. LOL pat liked them though! lol

Galganov's Pita Recipe for GREAT, Home Made PITA!

» Best of Pita Recipes ever «

AKA: Arab Bread, Flat Bread or Flatbread; Israeli Flat Bread or Flatbread, Flat Bread, Flatbread, Syrian Bread, Middle Eastern Flat Bread, Armenian Bread, Pita Pockets, Pita Bread, Khubz.

This pita recipe makes twelve - six inch pitas. The only special tool we use for this recipe is a heat diffuser pictured below. In India they may be purchased as "chapati pans" or "toasters" in a camping supply store, they may be bought as "campfire toasters". Anything you may call them, they are the best tool if you work with an electric range.

There is no substitute for fresh pita. They're even nicer when they've sat, for 1/2 hour, in plastic bag after cooling. This makes them a little chewy. Since they are completely devoid of oil or anything else that acts a preservative, pita really doesn't keep very long but they do freeze well. Frozen pitas make excellent instant pizza crusts!

A special note about flour: North American flours are of the "hard wheat" variety. This makes them more suitable to yeast risen doughs. If you are in Europe (and even more so in Asia) use "bread flour" if you can get it. What ever you use, if it is not Canadian or American you will have to use more flour and, perhaps, beat it (after the initial addition of flour) a little more to stimulate the gluten. As a guideline - add flour until the dough no longer sticks to your hands.

Now go make some pita!

To make this pita recipe you will need:

* a large mixing bowl

* a measuring cup

* a wooden spoon (a whisk would be a nice extra)

* a heat diffuser (perforated pan - pictured here) is not required but is a big advantage to make good pita. A regular skillet will work.

* a rolling pin (or substitute with a glass soft drink or wine bottle)

* measuring spoons

* a knife (to divide the dough - you can just tear it if you prefer)

The required ingredients for this pita recipe are:

* 1 C of warm water (85 - 115 f)

* 2 scant teaspoons of active dry yeast

* 1 tsp salt

* 1 C all purpose flour (or whole wheat flour)

* approximately 1 ½ to 2 C all purpose flour.

Method:

*Put 1 cup warm water into the bowl and gradually sprinkle the yeast over the water allowing each pellet of yeast to get wet (this means: don't just dump the yeast into the water).

*Allow the yeast/water to sit for about five minutes (for the yeast to soften) then with the wooden spoon (or better, a whisk) beat the yeast until it is fully dissolved.

*To the yeast mixture, add 1 teaspoon salt,

At this point you may have also added (or may now add) any herbs or other flavourings you might enjoy in your dough. Flavouring your pita with chives can be very nice but may inhibit its ability to puff while cooking.

Beat with the spoon (or whisk) until all the ingredients are blended.

*To the mixture add 1 cup all purpose (or whole wheat) flour. Beat with the wooden spoon (or whisk) until the mixture is smooth and cascades of the back of the spoon (approximately 90 firms strokes with a spoon) or with the whisk until everything is fully blended.

*With a wooden spoon stir in 3/4 cup of all purpose flour until all the flour is absorbed by the dough

*Gradually add the balance of the flour - 1/4 cup at a time - first with the spoon and then by hand until the dough is no longer sticky.

*Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead with a "push and turn" motion until the dough begins to feel responsive under your hand - about 5 minutes.

The dough should have just enough flour so that it is not sticky when kneading. Dust the dough lightly with flour during the kneading process if you find it sticking to your hands.

*Pour a small amount of oil into your bowl and turn the dough in the oil so that it is lightly coated. Cover the bowl and put it in a warm, draft free place to rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.

*When the dough has risen to double its volume (about 1/2 hour) turn it out onto a lightly floured board and knead briefly (or press out) to remove the bubbles.

Divide the dough into 12 equal parts.

Place the diffuser (pan) on a large burner and set the dial to 5 1/2 (just over medium)

Flour your work surface well and coat a slightly flattened ball of dough, on both sides, in the flour.

Roll out that piece to about 6 inches (1/16 to 1/8 inch thick) Dusting lightly with flour if it sticks to the rolling pin.

Do the same with a second ball of dough.

*Place the first piece on the pan and prepare your third piece.

Watch the pita heating and turn it over when it starts to bubble.

From then on, rotate it on the pan occasionally until it is fully cooked then remove it to a cooling rack.

This process of forming one while another is cooking and the next is sitting waiting to be cooked allows perfect rising time for a soft pita.

*Continue the rolling and cooking process until all the dough is done.

A "PITA" tip for gas or propane users: With this form of cooking you can use a regular skillet and as each one is cooked - just toss it over the open flame briefly to puff it up.

A word of "pita" encouragement: We still celebrate when they all puff. Don't feel bad if none do the first (or even the second) time. Pita is one of the fastest, easiest breads to make but getting them to puff can be tricky. You have to watch, carefully, how they behave on the pan and move them around and turn them accordingly. Practice makes perfect. It gets better and easier each time!

Too hot to turn? Use a teaspoon to lift it. A fork may pierce the dough and then they're guaranteed not to puff!

http://yvonneandmason.galganov.net/recipes/pita.html

alas...life took over, and my pita dream must wait for another non-halloween weekday. i hope it puffs like the picture, it looks so good!

I'll let y'all know if cast iron skillets work for this on electric ranges...That's how I do my tortillas! I will MAYBE try this out today--if the kidlets permit me the time & space.

Archived