MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Another kitchen mishap

OK, it's 11:15 and I haven't gotten a darned thing done yet, but I just had to share this with you ladies...

First, let's say that I get big when I'm pregnant. HUGE. My belly button is already stretching out. Yes, that does play into the story.

Second, if you've looked at the lovely kitchen pics posted here, you've seen my post about what a dinky kitchen I have. Not much counter space, and when cooking for this many people, I have to improvise for counter space. My stove top and washer often come into play.

So yesterday I'm baking a cake. We have cake quite often, usually with just a bit of powdered sugar sprinkled on top. Frosting is saved for special events. I measure all the ingredients and am just starting to mix, by hand, because my mixer blew up a few weeks ago after I dropped it (I bought it at a garage sale for $1.50, definitely got my money's worth out of it). I'm using the stove top, have the plastic mixing bowl sitting on top of a burner, something I've done 1000 times. I had turned the oven on right before I started measuring, so when I smelled a little gas I didn't think anything of it, the smell went away immediately.

Well, as I'm mixing, I hear a sizzling sound. Hmm, maybe something got left in the oven. As I bend down to open the oven door and peek inside, I see the light reflecting off the bottom of the bowl, and look up in time to see melted plastic and cake batter dripping onto the stove.

Somehow, my pregnant belly managed to turn on the burner under the bowl! Talk about a mess. And I was really upset (remember, pregnant hormones) because I'd used my LAST THREE eggs in the cake!!!

Well we all had a good laugh about it. In my defense, I must say, we tested the burner and it came on without being turned to "light". Isn't that a safety mechanism?!?!?!

I did get my cake. I had planned a store run to get a few things and eggs were on the list-I just wanted the cake first LOL.

So, does anyone know how to get melted plastic off the stove burner thingies?!?!?!

Mo7

I'm assuming you got melted plastic on the pan supports over the gas burner right? I'd remove the pan support, put it in boiling water for a couple minutes, fish it out with tongs, and use a razor blade scraper on the plastic. The boiling water should soften the plastic and make it easier to remove. I suggest if possible, you have some other adult do this task, as with pregnancy hormones & a big belly (BTDT), you don't need any additional grief or injuries from boiling water & razor blades!

Archived