MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Professional experience in kitchens?

I've been looking into culinary schools, as I love to cook and try out different things in the kitchen and enjoy it even more when someone else will help eat what I've made.

I've been thinking that might be a better place for me than law school. The odds of me ending up in a cube are much less (unless I manage to cube myself whilst chopping things...ow).

The only problem is, I haven't got any experience in a professional kitchen. I do plan on getting some before sinking 10s of 1000s into culinary school.

Any hints/experiences/advice/DON'T DO THAT, it hurts/tips/tricks/other miscellaneous comments anyone has to offer?

I have no experience in a professional kitchen, but my brother was a chef/caterer for many years. He attended a tech school for one year, then quit. All his experience was first hand.

He started out working on a line, making salads, prepping foods, etc.

Then he worked is way up to actually cooking.

Then he starting working for a caterer, gained more experience, then started doing private caterings on his own. This wasn't the midwestern country catering, these were sit down multi-course meals, sometimes running into the 100 bucks a plate cost.

The stress got to be too much putting him in the ER on more than one occassion. So he's out of the business now.

I guess my advice would be to get a job in a kitchen and learn all you can, before jumping into a school.

The hours are chaotic, and it can be very stressful.

Good luck.

stay in law school... now go offer your services to a caterer! well see if they will pay you but if not.. work for food! LOL! get experience there.. it is a totally different environment then working in a restaurant as a chef.

A caterer is harder! preparing food here and transporting over there.. then setting up.. but... easy to get a job doing.

watch top chef on BRAVO! http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef_2/index.shtml

I'm not sure what you want to know about professional cooking, but I was the Head cook at an Adult Care Facility.

After cooking in a couple restaurants, this was much more enjoyable. There was always preplanned menus, sometimes cooked 2 or 3 different ways(depending on dietary needs), but all using my own recipes. Not all facilities are run this way , but most privately owned ones are.

I found this to be much less stressful ,and if you can cook at all , there was no schooling needed.

Good luck in what ever you decide.

Archived