1 whole bunch celery
14 sprigs parsley
3 bay leaves
14 Tbls. flour
14 Tbls. butter
3 Tbls. salt
8 Tbls. sugar
2 tsp. pepper

Wash and cut up tomatoes. Chop onions, celery, and parsley. Add tomatoes with bay leaves; cook until celery is tender. Put through sieve. Rub flour and butter into smooth paste thinned with tomato juice. Add to boiling soup; stir to prevent scorching. Add salt, sugar and pepper. For smoother consistency put through sieve again. Fill clean jars to within one inch of top. Put on lid, screw band firmly tight. Process in Boiling Water Bath 15 minutes. Yeild: 10 pints.

(I put celery and onions in blender on puree and added back to tomato soup the last time I made the soup. I hated to waste the veggies. This is optional.)

This is the recipe as my friend sent it to me. I think by '1 whole stalk of celery', it means the whole bunch. And I will not water bath this, but pressure can at 10 lb pressure for 15 minutes. She said this is yumyum so I can't wait to try it.

Hi Necie!

I want to can this recipe...SOOOO badly. I still have a freezer full of roma tomatoes. I just need to check...Is it ok to have this amount of flour and butter or should that be done at the time we eat this. Can I can with these ingredients in the soup? Should I use Clear Jel?

Thanks! This looks so yummy!!!!!

A friend of mine made this soup and canned it-she sent me the recipe. She water bath canned it-I plan on using the pressure canner.

I plan on doing it with the flour and butter. (I have a relish recipe that has flour in it and is WBC.) I think if it makes you more comfortable (and I think it *is* recommended), then can it without the flour and butter. I would then mix 1 Tbls. flour and 1 Tbls. butter and thin with a little soup and add back to the soup to thicken when heating to eat. (That's per pint.)

Make sense? Did I forget anything?

Thanks Necie!

My chicks love tomato soup, so I will make some of this recipe. I find lots of recipes with flour in them and a few with butter. Since I have only been canning this year, I am still figuring out the rules. I will can quarts...How long should I pressure can them? Thanks for all your help!!!!

I would do pints @ 10# for 15 min and quarts @ 10# for 20 min. I would think that would be more than enough, since it wasn't that long ago that WBC would've been the norm. I think that would be about right with the other veges in it. Anybody else agree or disagree?

Saw the lady who gave me this recipe and she confirmed that 'one whole stalk celery' does in fact mean 'one whole bunch celery'. So I've edited the original post to state that in the recipe.

(Is there a more proper term than 'bunch' for celery?)

About 3 years ago My sister and I canned this same recipe before we knew that flour and butter was a No No to can, we made I think 2 batches of it about 24 quarts It really came out well. We also used the hot water bath method So it let you know it is good but you are canning it at risk. I would also like to know if the clear gel would work good in this it might be something that would work well. As for other vegetables in it I wouldn't push my luck. I would add them when I go to use it but not can them in it, my thinking is that you would be makeing like a vegetable soup stew and would change the flavor and not be a tomato soup at all. Now I will put my recipe back in my dirty little secret closet with my other recipes says you can't do it that way any longer, and wonder.

I hate to be a smarty pants on my first post, but a stalk is the whole bunch, a rib is one piece.

I've been lurking for a while and am really enjoying all of your recipes. Thank you for taking the time to post them! I'll be making this one next summer.

Archived