MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

If you want your children to succeed.

Mare

This is not a facetious post. If you want your children to succeed in life, have them learn Spanish. The majority of available jobs today give priority to persons who speak Spanish. In my town, for the first time, I am seeing signs in stores in both English and Spanish. Sometimes the Spanish is above the English wording. I'm so serious, if you want your kids to have the advantage, encourage them to learn Spanish. Or, perhaps Arabic.

My kids and I were just talking about this today. The oldest one said he really wanted to learn German, but thought Spanish would be more useful. I told him he should learn Chinese, then the second oldest said, "The way things are going, maybe we should all learn Arabic".

He decided on Latin (go figure)

As a healthcare provider... on the West coast... near an agricultural area... I'd go with Spanish.

There are many more Spanish-speaking ppl who don't speak English than there are Chinese or Arabic speaking ppl who don't. Does that make sense? The Chinese & Arabic speaking ppl learn English more than the Spanish speaking. I think they have better opportunities for higher education in their native countries.

The Education department here is just about to introduce changes to the Ntional Curriculum for secondary school children where the choice of modern language options is to be widened to include Chinese Mandarin and Urdu; this will be in addition to the traditionally available French, Spanish and German.

Personally I think it is a good idea for British schools; as well as being better prepared for the modern, ever changing commercial world in a multi cultural society like ours is in Britin, it is hoped the move will help foster good/better community relations in every day life. I'm in favour of all options and bigger choice for the pupils.

Not applicable to us as we home educate, but The Bean wants to learn Spanish of her own volition.

I think it is a good idea for all the kids to know a second language. But, I also think it is a good idea for those who come to our country and England, to know English too. Why should be have to hire thousands of extra teachers for them if they are not willing to learn our language.

I'm sorry, here I go again.

Up here, there have been so many Spanish speaking people moving in and getting jobs. In fact, they had to hire someone in HR just because of that where Old Pine works. Then you get the rest of those who work there or call in, and you can hardly understand this person.

Another thing is when you get a call about some other things, you seem to always get someone you don't understand. Trying to think of the last person like that who I talked to and what it was about.

We had the choice of French and that was the only one we could take and you had to be an A or B student to take it.

Well, like I said, I am for kids learning other languages, but also those who come should learn English too.

Archived