MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help!! Vacuum Sealer!!

kimba

DH gave me the go ahead to purchase but I don't know what to get. I'd like to get on that will support the attachment for jars. I looked on food savers web site and found 2 that I think I liked. One was about $50 the other was about $100. Do they really vary that much??

Also where can I buy bags, inexpensively? I think I like the roll of plastic that you can make your own size bags from.

Anyone have any advice or tips for me????

Thanks,

Kimba

I've owned 2 food savers...which ones in particular were you looking at? It appears they have several different models...here's their site which lists their product:

http://foodsaver.com/Products.aspx?CategoryID=555

I've also heard that Walmart sells vacuum seal bags/rolls much cheaper than the Food Saver brand and people seem to have had good success with them. I don't ever buy the bags, I buy the rolls and then make the size bags I need.

Kimba

I've got the V2480 model and love it. It does everything they say it will do. I have both of the jars sealers and they work great. I get my bags in rolls at Sam's and sometimes from Food Saver if they are on special.

John

Hi Kimba!

Sams has a great deal on a Foodsaver combo pack. You get the sealer, several containers, some rolls of the plastic, and a jar sealer. It even came with a DVD, to show you what to do. I paid $118. They still have that deal and I think they have an upgraded model, where you can seal and partially vacuum without crushing your chips, crackers etc.

hummmmmmmmmm I think mine is burried under about 5 inches of dust...

I have the Tilia.. got it from Costco in 1999. I use it to vacuum seal herbs and grain and that is about it.

It is a sucky little thinger.

I'm looking at Food Saver Essential series V475 $48.99, and the V1205 on sale for $99.99. That one has alot of accessories. I think I'm leaning towards that one.

Anybody have that one???

Kimba

I have the 2840 or 2860...I can't remember and I'm too lazy to go look lol...

I think it would be wise for you to go with the 1205...it's a better machine, it comes with more accessories that you can use, it vacuums the air better, the wet/dry settings are useful for when you are vacuum sealing those different types of foods. That's one of the reasons I had upgraded from my original machine to the one I have now because it allowed me to do more things than the standard one, and I had a need for that diversity. If you can afford the extra money, you might as well receive the better benefit of a better machine that you'll use for more things than you can imagine right now.

I'm excited for you...you'll really enjoy it!

Archived