1 cup rolled oats (regular oatmeal) uncooked

1 cup desiccated coconut

1 cup brown sugar (or white)

1/2 cup butter

2 tbsp golden syrup (or honey)

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

2 tbsp boiling water

Method

Combine the flour (sifted), oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.

Melt the butter and Golden Syrup (or honey) in a saucepan over a low heat..

Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water and add to the butter and Golden Syrup.

Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix well.

Spoon dollops of mixture, about the size of a walnut shell, onto a greased tin leaving as much space again between dollops to allow for spreading.

Bake in a moderate oven, 180C / 350F, for 15-20 minutes.

Cool on a wire rack and seal in airtight containers.

Tips

The American tablespoon is a little smaller than the British tablespoon, so be generous with your Golden Syrup (or Honey) and Water.

If you have any thoughts of keeping the biscuits for any length of time I suggest you keep them in a padlocked container!

For a little variety you may wish to add 2 teaspoons of ginger spice.

dessicated cocnut is usually fairly short and consistant in size, smaller than grain of rice but about same length.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/features/glossary...sicated+Coconut

Dessicated Coconut:

Dried coconut shreds, similar to US coconut shreds. In the US, coconut is usually sold sweetened, this is not so common in other countries.

hope this helps

Thanks Sue...Uhhhhh??? So...These are cookies?? Biscuits?? Either way...I'm making them, just need to know...Serve as bread with dinner or after dinner as dessert!!

Ah sweet, like you would serve with a cup o' tay? a snack that you would eat like an oreo? They are not bread like, but yes you could use as a dessert I guess, but more like a snack with a drink.

Ok I am lost, I would see them as a biscuit for morning or afternoon tea. But where that fits for you guys? Just a cookie?

Ok...COOKIES...I'm off to make them, because we are depressed around here and there is just nothing else to do, but get fat!!!!!

I made the cookies, 2 batches. They were so yummy. We ate them, while reading our new "bedtime story" The Universe in A Nutshell, by Stephen Hawking....I can't believe these little nuts want me to read this to them, but the 16 year old all the way down to the 6 year love it...It's the "want me" that puzzles me...They were getting it read to them, whether they "wanted me" to or not. We are having so much fun with the Apologia elementary science classes, but one thing leads to another and on and on....This is so much more fun than traditional curriculums...But back to the cookies...They were just wonderful! They gobbled up one batch in a few minutes and I froze the rest for the next night. Thanks for sharing Sue! Anymore recipes??

Archived