MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What is your escape?

So,

we're discussing various threads of things that scare us and trouble our souls. What do you do for escape?

Darlene and mine's trick of driving off into the sunset briefly? Prayer? Gardening? Cooking? Shopping? Long walks? Calling friends? What?

For smaller troubles I *tub-ify*

I fill the tub and put soothing scents in it, light candles, maybe a cherished feel-good book or simply a headset with soothing music and soak (read as:sprawl in water bonelessly). FOR at least an hour with the phone turned off and the door locked.

The water logged but happier cookie

------------------

cookiejar.jpg

Oh boy....

I pray and read my Bible...this helps me tremendously! I also like to swim laps in our pool. I just feel like stress and worries just float away. smile.gif I also like gardening and cooking and coming to the Mrs. Survival website! smile.gif

To escape, worries, teenagers, playing in the dirt is my favorite. If I am in the back yard working,(ie. playing to me), my kids will not come out except to stick their heads out and ask a question. They are much to afraid that their insane mother will ask them to help out in the yard. This suits me just fine.

grin.gif

------------------

brigid.gif

A long drive is one of the most soothing happenings for ones spirit. There is something about it that creates an inner peace within ones soul. Music is an absolute must whether its playing my piano or guitar, or just plain listening to some good tunes on the stereo. I also love sitting on a beach just watching the world go by. Listening to the waves crashing on shore the gulls chirping and all the wonderful sounds of the sea. Nothing better than to sit on a beach and take in the smell of the sea air, the sights and sounds around you.

Hiking to the top of a mountain and just hanging back for a while .

I love all that stuff and have done all of it.

A long drive in the mountains or the country always soothes my moodiness. A more readily available cure is puppy kisses, and there are plenty of those around here. They always make me smile. In younger years, I'd head for the barn and take my horse out for a long ride....now, I really miss those days.

• 3 months later...

Oh Mary, great minds think alike. I just came in to visit MrsS after about a half hour of sitting in my dark living room admiring my lit up tree. How peaceful and pretty. All of my ornaments have a special memory attached to them. I was nearly in another world when DH came in and flipped on the light and brought me back to reality.

It all depends on what I am trying to escape from. Praying and Bible reading are one way. Coming on the computer is another way. Reading is another way, I don't do that much.

I agree now is the time just to set and look at the lights on the tree and enjoy it.

------------------

snowmomjune.gif

Hi Linda!!! My escape used to be music. But when I married DH I pretty much had to give it up. (Most music is just racket to him) If it were up to me I would have music on for every mood and problem. Some songs I can nearly hypnotize myself with. The few times I am driving by myself I love to crank up my tunes and escape!!

• 2 months later...

With all that has been going on in this year so far I thought it would be good to revive this topic and BTTT. In order to stay healthy and sane it is very important to have these "little escapes". We all need them. Even if it's just something as small as getting away with a book for a little while. Or a small indulgence like a slice of cheesecake. Or maybe a little meditation/prayer. What works for you?

Guest Guest

Momo...you and I share the same kind of escapes! Although there are a lot of songs Mare and I like....there are many more that I like that she doesn't...I also like to hear mine LOUD! And that's part of my Caveman weeks when she's off vacationing with her mom!

• 1 year later...

My favorite way is quilting. Quilting is the best stress reliever I've found yet (other than prayer). It calms my nerves and soothes my soul. Just being in my sewing room, designing quilts, playing with material can make the worse days a whole lot better. Second would have to be gardening. There is nothing quite like digging in the dirt and watching little plants grow. The only problem is where I live, I only have about 3 months of gardening.

You're looking at it... LOL

I tend to throw more pies & soggy creampuffs here when I'm stressed out in "real life".

Otherwise, I take a nap to escape. Short & peaceful.